• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MJL

MJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:18 AM

We just moved to Aiken, SC and I am looking for any homeschool support groups. This is my son's first 1/2 year of homeschooling and is missing the interaction with other children. He is in 4th grade. 

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Welcome to our community! :)  I'll ask Aiken-area homeschoolers to come visit and tell you about area groups. In the meantime, check out my support group list at http://www.carolinah.../asupport4.html  to see if there's a group near you.

Warmly,
Dianna

#3 cato

cato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

I was going to suggest HSinA group + the North Augusta Homeschooler. I see they are under the suggested support groups that CHS has given. I would check both of them out on their park days. Im from Trenton (which means we have to travel to get anywhere... joys of the country life!)but we usually go to North Augustas group. We do enjoy it. Field trips, park days, and holiday partys. Also I'll throw in The family Y in Aiken has things for homeschoolers and Gymnastics Gold on Mondays has something too at 1pm(32$a month ). + I just recently found a music class($5 a class) we are going to try to start on Fridays but its in Grovetown 1-904-305-3605.There's a lot out there and being a newbie myself this year (5k) I've been really pleased with all of the social activities available in this area. Funny b/c when we first started I was actually worried about "socializing". Ha Ha! Were in Girl Scouts, 4H, and Gymnastics. I'm finding myself lately marking days off on my book to stay home ! Lol We do love it tho ;) Toni
  • Dianna likes this

#4 Momma of three boys

Momma of three boys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

AAHE (Aiken Area Home Educators) is a great Christian support group.  We have been a member for a number of years.  They organize social activites and field trips.

There are also some co-ops in the area, Grace Co-op (off by-pass) and Kionia Co-op (off Bettis Academy Rd) are 2 of the most popular.  If you are interested in classes and such for your child (writing classes, science labs, spelling/geography bees, math counts, Future City, etc) a co-op would be a great place to start.

AAHE requires membership and signed statement of faith.  They have an open house twice a year.  Next open house is in July at Millbrook Baptist Church.  Contact/President for AAHE is Wendy Hoyle. You can email her at whoyle1@netzero.net

She can give you all the info you need.

• Dianna likes this

#5 MJL

MJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Thank you all for the great information I will be checking them out. This is very encouraging.

#6 grahamfam

grahamfam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hi, I've lived in Edgefield for a little over a year now. Would love to connect with other Johnston, Edgefield, or Trenton homeschooling moms.

Thanks!

Kelli Graham

#7 cato

cato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:07 AM

We are in Trenton. I dont mind at all if anybody contacts me. Right now we meet a group in N. Augusta but I do know another HS mom in Edgefield and it would be so nice to meet a group near home too.

Edited by cato, 26 February 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#8 kohlby

kohlby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Hi!  I participate in the North Augusta group - but there's also an inclusive group that meets weekly in Aiken.  My eldest son is a 5th grader and we go to the North Augusta park group almost every week for park days.  It's North Augusta Homeschool on facebook, or you could send me a message if you want more info.  The North Augusta group meets on Thursdays at NA parks - but all from the CSRA area are welcome.  We'll be meeting at 1pm tomorrow at Riverview Park, but then it will change to 11:30 and a different park for March/April.  Aiken has a group that also meets on Thursdays.  I think they meet at noon and they meet at O'dell Weeks.  Both the NA group and the Aiken group I mentioned are inclusive groups, meaning that all are welcome. Neither has dues or requirements associated with them either.  There are some more structured groups in the CSRA area, so many people are in more than one.  If you are Christian, the CSRA HEA is the largest Christian group for the area.  (There are dues and a statement of faith required with that one).