Photo

Removing child from PS late in the year.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stephanie Schultz

Stephanie Schultz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

I was originally planning on having my first grader finish out the year but as the year goes on I'm wishing I removed him at Christmas break. Our decision to homeschool had nothing to do with his school. That is why I didn't remove him at break. I was planning on homeschooling next year and I had wanted to start at the beginning of the year to try avoid being overwhelmed.

I'm not sure if i should pull him out now or wait for him to finish out the year. There are a lot of little things that happened this year at his school that I do not like. Mainly his teacher and how she impacts my child's anxiety. From my experience in his classroom he is a number. 19 to be exact. He does not do well in this environment and his love for learning is fading. I shouldn't say that. He loves learning, just not at school anymore. Any advice? Also, could you tell me the steps I would need to take to remove him and what I would need to do to finish out the school year at home. Thanks so much.

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,545 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Stephanie, I've had many registrations from families this month, so you're not alone in wanting to begin homeschooling mid-year.

The best way to do it would be to register with an association first, then wait for your your membership to be finalized. Then you can take your membership letter to the school and officially withdraw him. (If you try to withdraw him before you're legally covered to homeschool, then you may run into truancy issues.)

After you get him home, consider doing activities that would re-ignite his love for learning (reading good books together, field trips, museum and zoo visits, documentaries, experiments, etc.). All of that is learning, and all of it counts.

There's a lot more information available in my FAQs at http://www.carolinah...r.com/afaq.html  and in the messages posted here.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Mommaduck and rose86 like this

#3 Faith Oldham Falise

Faith Oldham Falise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

I am a newbie too and will be joining shortly. I would like to follow up with Stephanie because I am in this exact same situation with a first grader as well. Is there any way we can contact each other? Thanks so much!

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,545 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hi Faith, welcome to our community! :)

To send a message to Stephanie, just click (or hover) over her name and you'll send a "send a message" button. Click on that and you'll be able to talk to her privately.

Warmly,

Dianna