• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 4andnomore

4andnomore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

I was curious if anyone had been to/is going to the Greenville Homeschool Convention??  If you've been before, what do you recommend for newbies?

#2 cato

cato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

I am going! I am a Newbie too :) This has been our first year homeschooling for 5k and can't wait to look at some curriculum ideas im thinking about for 1st grade. Looking forward to some great speakers and hope to learn a lot so Im excited!
  • Dianna and 4andnomore like this

#3 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

We've attended two years.

Michael Clay Thompson is an EXCELLENT speaker. His vocabulary presentation is really cool.

My son enjoyed Ed Zaccaro's math lectures.

Be sure to save time for the exhibit hall. It'll be CROWDED.

Most vendors have been set up to accept credit cards, so if there are things you want to buy, have a plan of attack and a limit on your spending.

I've also enjoyed hearing Chris Perrin speak (Latin for Children)

Have fun!

#4 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'm going this year. A key would be to go through the list beforehand. It's huge so go through, as some sessions won't be helpful to you and others will. The speakers that I'm most interested in wouldn't meet the needs of someone focusing on a kindy kid for example. So, if you want speaker suggestions, let us know the grades of the children, if you use secular or religious, and if you have a particular homeschool style and maybe people similar to you will have some ideas.

#5 4andnomore

4andnomore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

Thanks kohlby!  I just started hs after the Christmas Break with my 2nd grader and 4th grader.  I also have another whom I haven't decided yet if I'm hs him next year for kindergarten.  I use Sonlight right now as it was easy to get something to get me through the rest of the year.  So far the kids have enjoyed it.  I'm not sure how to go about hs all three though since there will be such an age gap between the older ones and the kindergartner.  So far I have to sit with and monitor my kids to get them to finish the work that they do separate such as the math and independent reading.  They don't have the focus to keep going on there own;/  So I guess what I'm saying is that I need a lot of help;)  lol

Christian is great, but not a requirement per se.  Any input would be great!!

BTW, all of my kids so far that I will be hs are boys!!  My little girl is only 2 right now!

• Dianna likes this

#6 SamIam

SamIam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

One thing I always recommend for the vendor hall:  Do not buy anything in impulse, no matter how great the sales pitch is!!

I always go in knowing what I am looking for...and the cost if bought online  (I'd have it on a spreadsheet printed out...these days I have it on a Note in my iPhone).    That way I can get a in-person look at it if it's something I've been eyeing online.    And I know if the convention pricing is a deal that I should jump on, or if it's the same price online, so I can wait to buy later.

As far as things that I see that I was not planning on...I never buy the first day.  If I see something that looks really appealing, or has a great sales pitch, I go home that night and look up reviews and more info online.    If I'm still interested, I'll go back the next day to purchase.    I've been to one too many conventions the first few years where I bought something that sounded SOO good, looked SOO good (after all, most of these vendor booths are staffed with sales people :), only to realize later that it wasn't going to work for us.

• Dianna likes this

#7 Janis Rogers

Janis Rogers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

I am so excited there is a Greenville homeschool convention.  I currently live in Las Vegas, and will be driving to California to go to the same convention.  Really looking forward to not having to travel next year when we finally get to SC.

• Dianna likes this

#8 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

I thought I had written another reply, but can't find it so I'll see what I can remember!  My youngest is kindergarten next year as well, but we unschool then so that makes it easy!  My other two are currently legal 2nd and 5th grade age, but they're advanced - especially the eldest.  It's really hard to suggest specific curriculums to someone starting out to look into. (Also, I'm a secular homeschooler - but the conference will have far more Christian curriculum resources than secular, so plenty for you to look at).   So, instead, my suggestion is to take it all in and bring a notebook with you.  Check out sessions about different types of learners and different styles of homeschooling.  Walk around the booths, jotting notes as you go but do not buy on the spot.  Sometimes, vendors will give you coupon codes for free shipping, so get that if they have it and it's a curriculum you're considering.  Use the conference as a research opportunity.

As for teaching multiple ages together with the same resources, it works for some.  It does not work for me.  My eldest two figure out what they want to learn for science and social studies and then we learn about it.  Sounds easy to combine, right?  Nope.  They never, ever want to learn about the same thing!  The eldest was a little behind on fine motor skills so they both got to cursive at the exact same time - and still, they insisted on different workbooks!  Even curriculums that I used for the eldest aren't able to be used for the middle child sometimes, due to different learning styles.  There have been exceptions, but tailoring it my students means that they need different things a lot of the time.

Perhaps you can get your older child more independent.  Since we have to keep a log book anyway, I write down the subjects that I want done each day in each child's book.  I fill in any specifics I want done.  And leave some blank for the eldest to fill in.  Then he checks it off as he goes.  If he needs parent help, then I write "with parent" in it if it's not obvious.  He's in more control of his learning this way and I get more time to work with my middle child - who wants me by her side every second.  Plus, I do need to make sure the third child gets some attention in there too!  I have used some carefully placed tv time for the youngest as well to give me a little extra time to work with the others. 

Edited by kohlby, 18 March 2014 - 02:29 PM.

• Dianna likes this