• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki Massey Hall

Nikki Massey Hall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

I'm new to this , and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified. I'm almost certain I'm not doing much of anything correct. I'd love to get to know some other families around the Columbia area that homeschool, too. We just moved here and I don't know anyone.

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Hi Nikki, and welcome! :)

I don't live in the Columbia area, but many of my members do. I'll round up the troops and ask them to post in here.

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 Kristie Boyd Hunter

Kristie Boyd Hunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hi Nikki!  I am in the NE area of Columbia.  I don't think any of us feel like we're doing it "right" at first.  The great thing about homeschooling is that there's really no right or wrong way to do it, you just have to figure out what works for you and your child(ren).  

If you're interested, we have a small group of homeschoolers in the NE area that I'm a part of.  As long as it's ok with Dianna, I'd be glad to give you the link to our facebook page if you're interested!  Good luck!

• Nikki Massey Hall likes this

#4 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

We're in REACH for support - inclusive group.

You can also meet people at the state museum's homeschool classes (check out homeschool Fridays & be sure to preregister) and Columbia Historical Society's classes.

There are also classes at Riverbanks Zoo and the Art Museum, although there have been changes to them & I'm not sure how good they are anymore.

#5 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Kristie, it's fine to post the link - please do!

Warmly,

Dianna

#6 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Nikki, also, when you get a chance, read through my FAQs at http://www.carolinah...r.com/afaq.html

I bet you're doing more right than you think you are. :)

Warmly,

Dianna

#7 diande76

diande76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

I have a 6 year old girl. We haven't found anything that fits us nor do we know anyone in the Columbia area either.

#8 Nikki Massey Hall

Nikki Massey Hall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

Kristie, that would be great if you would post the link; I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks everyone!

#9 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Here's a new Columbia-area group on Facebook: http://www.facebook....83809745111570/

They have a yahoo group, too. To subscribe, send an email to  columbiahomeschoolers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Warmly,

Dianna

#10 Nikki Massey Hall

Nikki Massey Hall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Thanks, Diana!

• Dianna likes this

#11 Kristie Boyd Hunter

Kristie Boyd Hunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Here's the link to our group:

https://www.facebook...50302468423348/

#12 Dot Rodger Collins

Dot Rodger Collins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

I'm a somewhat longterm homeschooler (my oldest is finishing 6th grade), but we are moving to Columbia in May, and the SC rules are making my eyes pop out.   I'll be a doctoral student at USC in the fall, but of course I know no one in Columbia at all and I am feeling a touch overwhelmed....I'll be happy to meet some other homeschool families when we arrive.  We have a 6th grade girl, a 1st grader girl and an 8 month old boy...

Dot

#13 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:17 AM

Dot, don't let the rules overwhelm you - they're not as bad as they sound. My FAQs break them down and explain what they really mean: http://www.carolinah...r.com/afaq.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Warmly,
Dianna

#14 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

I'm a somewhat longterm homeschooler (my oldest is finishing 6th grade), but we are moving to Columbia in May, and the SC rules are making my eyes pop out.   I'll be a doctoral student at USC in the fall, but of course I know no one in Columbia at all and I am feeling a touch overwhelmed....I'll be happy to meet some other homeschool families when we arrive.  We have a 6th grade girl, a 1st grader girl and an 8 month old boy...

Dot

What are you studying?

The rules really aren't that bad. No one has ever asked to see my records (and I've got lots of them!!). We school year round (June - April, taking May off) because that's what works for us. You can do all sorts of different options.

The REACH group I linked above has been a good support group for us.

Depending on where you live, the Richland County Public Library is the best library I've been a part of (much better than the public libraries I had access to in CA).

My son is in 6th grade this year. Feel free to send me a PM with questions about the Columbia area as well.

Welcome to the state!

#15 diande76

diande76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

With Josie being 6 and with special needs, she has adhd andb is on the autism spectrum. We're hoping another evaluation will give us our diagnosis. I haven't had an issue with rules since we're 3rd option. My issue has been the feeling of lack of direction and support. I've gotten her involved with church activities for the socialization and next year we're buying curriculm so I can feel we have some direction.

#16 Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Carolina

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Thanks to those who shared links.  I was an educator, in public education (mostly elementary school), for 21 years, but this will be the first time I will be homeschooling one of my children.  My youngest daughter was taken out of school due to increasingly worse health issues.  I have two older children, who have completed school, so I am familiar with what they did through middle and high school, but that doesn't keep me from being a little apprehensive about going it alone with a sixth grader.  My daughter has been state identified for AAP since the end of second grade and a Duke TIP participant since fourth grade.  I want to keep her on the accelerated path...any suggestions?  I am looking forward to getting to know some of the other homeschool parents and getting together for some outings.  Wish us luck!

• Dianna likes this

#17 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hi Frank,

I've asked Dana, a member with Duke/TIP experience, to come in and share her experiences. Both of us have a background in education (I'm an ex-school psychologist, and Dana is a math professor), but we approach homeschooling from different perspectives. I'm on one end of the spectrum, where I promote letting children take control of their education as much as the children and parents feel comfortable with. It's worked well in my family. My children have been able to really focus on their interests in high school and afterwards (college-wise, career-wise, etc.) and are successful. Dana is more on the other end of the spectrum (parent-led track), and it's been working well for her. (We've had great discussions about our different educational/homeschooling philosophies.)

Anyway, she's great about helping parents with math-related and Duke/TIP/AP questions, so I'll wait for her to chime in.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Frank Hodges likes this

#18 Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Carolina

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

Dianna,

Thanks.  Lilli was in a Montessori program located within a traditional school from K4 through 5th grade.  So, she is used to things being student-led.  I have been in the public education field for 21 years.  So, I am used to things being mostly teacher-led.  I am sure we will come to a compromise that works for us.  I am sure I will work toward her interests, after all, she has been able to do fairly well (AAP and Duke TIP identified, even in Montessori) choosing her lessons and moving forward.

Frank

• Dianna likes this

#19 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

Yup... you should listen to Dianna and me talk about educational philosophies.  ;)

The cool thing is that with homeschool there isn't one "right way" (although I would argue...and do!... that there are wrong ways to teach math....)

I'll start another thread on just gifted education in the Talk About Homeschooling thread since it applies to everyone.

I'll have links too!

Frank, feel free to send me a PM if you want to talk more specifically about anything as well.

#20 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Frank - also, remember that with homeschool, you aren't tied to what the school does - in almost every way.

So that can really be an adjustment mentally - but it can also be incredibly freeing (with some time!).

My son has severe food allergies and that's what got us started homeschooling (and what kept us going when we had some major conflicts).