• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dot Rodger Collins

Dot Rodger Collins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:18 AM

We've been homeschooling in Virginia for years -- now moving to SC.  When I arrive in SC, do I need to inform the school district that we are homeschooling? We're moving in May, and my understanding is the SC homeschool year "runs" from June 1-May 31?  I'm trying to avoid unnecessary unpleasantness, when people see my children not in school.  

After looking at the regulations, I'm pretty sure I will be choosing option III, and will probably register with Carolina Homeschooler for that purpose. 

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:30 AM

Hi Dot, and welcome (almost!) to SC! :)

Most associations define their reporting year from June 1 to May 31, but some run on a schedule that's more like the public schools, and others are different from both of those.

You won't need to inform the district that you're homeschooling since you're not enrolled in the system. If they ask, then you'd show them your membership letter and that's it. When in May will you be arriving? If your local school is still in session, then that's when you may run into truancy issues, but if you're moving in mid- to late-May, you'll probably be able to just wait it out.

If you join Carolina Homeschooler, you'll be covered beginning June 1, and I can run interference for you if you arrive before then, if you're approached by local officials asking for your schooling status.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,
Dianna

#3 Dot Rodger Collins

Dot Rodger Collins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

It looks like I will be officially moving April 22, but the kids probably won't  appear  at all in SC at all until sometime after May 1, and I don't think we will be here full-time until May 18 (I think we will be back and forth between VA and SC, as we have some end of the year things they don't want to miss).  I'm homeschooling in VA right now, and could provide documentation of that, if the local school has issue.  But, obviously, I haven't met SC's "rules" for the 13-14 school year, since I'm in VA.

I will plan to join CArolina Homeschooler this month, to take advantage of the discount however, so hopefully this can be a non issue, since I double-plus don't want to start on the wrong foot.....

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hi Dot,

I don't mind talking to the school/truancy officer to explain that you're in transition between states and are already enrolled for 2014-2015. I can't promise that they'll accept it and that you won't have to register anyway (whether with me or someone else), though.

Warmly,

Dianna