Photo

Laws, groups and associations in Greenville? Help please!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Janis Rogers

Janis Rogers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

Hello, my name is Janis and I currently live in Las Vegas, NV but we are planning to move to the Greenville area in or around January 2015.  I am really trying to get everything in order before we head cross country, since my husband will be in seminary and we will both be working.  We are in year 8 of homeschooling, and my children are 12, 10 (tomorrow!) and 7.  

I am so excited to move to a more history rich area of the country, with seasons and so much to experience.  But the homeschool laws have me so scared!  NV has no laws besides a notice of intent, so I don't really understand the whole "association" membership, portfolios, journals, hour trackings etc.  Can someone help me out, and tell me it's not that hard?  What all will I need to keep?  If I move in January, then when do I need to make sure we are joined with a group?  Do I have to notify South Carolina School District when we arrive?  When I keep the things like my hours, portfolios and journals do I have to submit them anywhere, is there a program you use to keep track of them?

Does this association cover the Greenville area, and what groups are everyone in in the Greenville area?  I am looking for a very active group as I am one of the leaders in our current group.  

As excited as I am for this move, I am also really nervous!  I would love for someone who has "been there" to help me some!  Thank you!!

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

Hi Janis,

Please read through my FAQs when you get a chance: http://www.carolinah...r.com/afaq.html   They answer many of the questions new homeschoolers (to SC) often ask and answer some of the questions you've asked, too. :)

It's not as difficult as it seems at first glance, but I'll let the FAQs explain more about why that's so.

You won't need to notify the local district about your homeschooling since they're not enrolled. I would recommend that you apply with an association in early December so that you're covered before you arrive. That's one less thing you'll have to worry about. If anyone asks about your school status, you'd just show them your membership letter.

If you're asking about Carolina Homeschooler - we cover the whole state (and even out-of-state homeschoolers). For information about groups in Greenville, see my Support Group listing for that area http://www.carolinah.../asupport2.html  and also read through the looking for support forum here: http://www.carolinah...ng-for-support/

Let me know if you have any other questions after you read through the FAQs.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Janis Rogers likes this

#3 SamIam

SamIam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Hi Janis,

I'm in Greenville, and would be willing to help and offer advice as far as groups.   I've been here for three years now, so I'm familiar with what is it like to be the "newbie", and I also like to jump in and find active groups.  Send me a message if you'd like to chat a bit.

• Janis Rogers likes this

#4 Janis Rogers

Janis Rogers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thank you Dianna!

Sam I am, I don't know how to message you.  Can you please email me at providense1@me.com?  I would love to chat :)