#1 Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Carolina

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

At Dianna's suggestion, I am starting a 'thread'....I am not new to 'education' (been teaching in public schools for a long time), but I am new to homeschooling.  I am, now, homeschooling my 6th grade daughter - and, probably will through high school.  I am interested in hearing from the dads out there.  I am sure it is a 'little' different for men to be the lead in their child(ren)'s education.  Feel free to reply here, or e-mail me at frankhdgs@gmail.com .....

• Dianna likes this

#2 Ryan Chapman

Ryan Chapman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

Oh yes it is, much different, some meeting groups look at you like you have three heads because your not female and your the sahp and homeschool teacher.

• Frank Hodges likes this

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

Frank and Ryan, I don't think you would feel out of place on most (maybe all) of my field trips and events. There are quite a few dads who always bring the kids to our events, even if the moms are the primary instructors. :)

Warmly,

Dianna

#4 Rickeyd53

Rickeyd53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

I am raising two grandsons, one 15 who is in highschool, 10th grade and one 14 who will be entering 8th grade this school year.  My wife and I have just retired and am tired of the way the schools treat the boys and then of course the problems that are in the schools.  We are going to give this a try because we want the best for the boys.  I spent 20 years in the Army and then another 22 years with the federal government with the US Courts and Homeland Security.  Please feel free to contact me would like to chat since I am starting out with home schooling.

#5 Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Carolina

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

This past school year was an interesting one, to say the least.  My 12-year old daughter had a lot of health issues in the 2012-2013 school year...missing nine weeks of school, plus being hospitalized, and going to MUSC for studies.  When last school year (2013-2014) rolled around, she was having so many doctor, therapist (to deal with the depression of not being able to attend school like her friends), and physical therapy appointments that she was missing more than attending.  Her pediatrician took her out of school October 1st. The school district was supposed to set up homebound instruction...even with me working for the district I couldn't get anyone to follow through and start - I suspect it is because we live so far out that no one was willing to make the drive.  I tried as best I could to keep her caught up through emails and texts with the sixth grade teachers, but it became too much. (My daughter has been state identified for Advanced Academic Placement since the end of second grade, and was a Duke TIP participant fourth through sixth grades.) In late October, I contacted the South Carolina Virtual Charter School, explaining all of Lilli's health issues and was told they would be a perfect fit for her.  So, we began November 1st.  Within a week, I realized they were not such a perfect fit.  They told me that she had already been absent and needed excuses.....they were counting the time from when they sent supplies, not from the time we received them.  Then, they wanted her to do all of that nine-week's assignments before the period ended, plus all the new stuff.  We were working every night until 11:00.  We kept getting notifications that she was late on assignments issued a month before we joined them.  We worked through Christmas break getting everything caught up.  Then, at the end of January, we couldn't access the SCVCS site to do anything.  I called their tech support.  I was told that there must be some cyber block keeping us from connecting to them because no matter what device we used, we got a "Page Not Available" message.  I was told they would have their cyber guru figure it out an call me.  I didn't receive a call.  Instead, I got a nice letter in the mail telling me they had withdrawn Lilli from the SCVCS.  I called to find out why and was told because she was absent five days - but, they would be glad to have her re-enroll next year.  Not happening.  So, I contacted Connections Academy and was told I had three days to get everything to them before their absolute cut-off for the year arrived.  I sent everything electronically, except her transcript from SCVCS because I didn't have access to it any longer.  Without that they said, "Sorry.  We would love to have her next year."  Thank God I found Carolina Homeschooler!  I am no longer working, and can devote myself to making sure my youngest gets what she needs.  I have already purchased all materials for the upcoming year.  I plan to participate in as many local/state trips an get togethers as possible.  I am considering having a gathering here when the summer activities start to wind down - we live on 20 acres outside of Columbia (at Cedar Creek) and have bunches of animals and an inground pool.  Dads (and moms), feel free to contact me at frankhdgs@gmail.com or 803-414-4894.  I have 21 years of experience in elementary education....I have a 31-year old son (he has an almost 8-year old son....so, I am Grandpa Frank), a 22-year old daughter (I think she has met the man she will marry), and my almost 13-year old daughter...our kids are 9 years and 10 months apart, each time.

• Dianna and MirandaDeBosco like this