4 replies to this topic

#1 Lorietta Purpura

Lorietta Purpura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant SC

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

I am curious if anyone  here  used any and at what age would one recommend to start  teaching a child in a 2nd/ 3rd language, especially since I do not speak that language.

For those who are using some sort of curriculum for Spanish, which ones have you used?

Thanks all!!

#2 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

We've used Rosetta Stone but just for familiarity & exposure. I don't see it seriously teaching. We started it in 2nd grade and are finishing up level 3 now in 6th.

Many public libraries have free access to Mango. That would likely be a good place to start & explore.

• Lorietta Purpura likes this

#3 Lorietta Purpura

Lorietta Purpura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Dana! That is most helpful!

Ok- I just went online and since I have my library card- I oculd access it from home.  You sure made my day!!!!  So many languages to choose from. I will probably do this together with my son.

Once again- Thank you!!!

Edited by Lorietta Purpura, 08 April 2014 - 11:15 AM.

• Dana likes this

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Lorietta, also check out Duolingo at http://www.duolingo.com/

I've used several programs, and the one I recommend for pronunciation and vocabulary is the Learnables program. Students just listen and look at pictures to intuit meaning and grammar. It can get boring for students because the instructional method isn't varied, but students who stick with it learn a lot. I recommend that you supplement with online sites, etc., to mix things up a bit, though.

Here's a link: http://www.learnables.com/ if you want to check it out.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Lorietta Purpura likes this

#5 Lorietta Purpura

Lorietta Purpura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Thanks Diana. I will check it out. The good thing is- my son loves learning online. I have found simple sites for math that are free- to get him interested. For the Spanish- I will probably do it together with  him so he wont feel *alone* and bored LOL At least I have this whole year to experiment with the different sites as well as methods of educating him before he starts Kindergarten next year  :)