Lorietta Purpura

Spanish Curriculum Recommendations?

9 posts in this topic

I am curious if anyone  here  used any and at what age would one recommend to start  teaching a child in a 2nd/ 3rd language, especially since I do not speak that language.

For those who are using some sort of curriculum for Spanish, which ones have you used?

Thanks all!!

We've used Rosetta Stone but just for familiarity & exposure. I don't see it seriously teaching. We started it in 2nd grade and are finishing up level 3 now in 6th.

Many public libraries have free access to Mango. That would likely be a good place to start & explore.

2 people like this

Thanks Dana! That is most helpful!

Ok- I just went online and since I have my library card- I oculd access it from home.  You sure made my day!!!!  So many languages to choose from. I will probably do this together with my son.

Once again- Thank you!!!

Edited by Lorietta Purpura
1 person likes this

Lorietta, also check out Duolingo at http://www.duolingo.com/

I've used several programs, and the one I recommend for pronunciation and vocabulary is the Learnables program. Students just listen and look at pictures to intuit meaning and grammar. It can get boring for students because the instructional method isn't varied, but students who stick with it learn a lot. I recommend that you supplement with online sites, etc., to mix things up a bit, though.

Here's a link: http://www.learnables.com/ if you want to check it out.

Warmly,

Dianna

2 people like this

Thanks Diana. I will check it out. The good thing is- my son loves learning online. I have found simple sites for math that are free- to get him interested. For the Spanish- I will probably do it together with  him so he wont feel *alone* and bored LOL At least I have this whole year to experiment with the different sites as well as methods of educating him before he starts Kindergarten next year  :)

Diana,

Do you know if Rosetta Stone is acceptable on a high school transcript?  

Kim, I haven't seen it since the early years when it first came out and they claimed that each level equaled one year of high school Spanish. It was causing problems for students who transferred into high school (and college) nowhere near the level Rosetta Stone said they were. Things may have changed, though.

Editing to add: only Spanish 1, Spanish 2, etc., is listed on a transcript, regardless of the resources you use.

Warmly,
Dianna

1 person likes this

Kim, I haven't seen it since the early years when it first came out and they claimed that each level equaled one year of high school Spanish. It was causing problems for students who transferred into high school (and college) nowhere near the level Rosetta Stone said they were. Things may have changed, though.

Editing to add: only Spanish 1, Spanish 2, etc., is listed on a transcript, regardless of the resources you use.

Warmly,

Dianna

I'm not sure about Spanish, but there's no way Rosetta Stone French 1 is equal to a traditional high school French 1 course. The homeschool version is better than the regular version as far as including extras for the student, but IMO it needs more. I don't have a Spanish recommendation, but what my son is using for French is Rosetta Stone along with Bien Dit. Bien Dit would be fine on its own for most students but I wanted him to have more since I am not capable of teaching him foreign language.