Photo

Looking for a place to be in South Carolina.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SouthernCross

SouthernCross

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Hey everyone. We are looking into relocating to SC. Preferably more rural than not. Some land, perhaps. Would like to get some of the kids involved in 4H. There are so many " would likes", I'm having a really hard time narrowing something down. Please let me know what you REALLY love about your community. Only stipulations are, within an hour of a major airport and safe. Thanks so much! Really looking forward to hearing your ideas.
TIA,
JEN

#2 Joe Jon Bryant

Joe Jon Bryant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

We moved to Spartanburg, SC, 8-months ago (from near Raleigh, NC) and really like it here. We bought a couple of acres south of town with a small barn. We have blueberry bushes, apple, pear, fig, and pecan trees, a large raised bed garden area, muscadine grapes, honey bees, plans for chickens, etc. We love the "small farming" concept. We are about 30-minutes from the Greenville/Spartanburg airport and an hour and 20 from Charlotte and Columbia airports. We are close to shopping, restaurants, malls. Greenville is 30-minutes away and has lots to offer. We can be in Asheville and many other mountain places in 60 to 90-minutes. Two hours to Cherokee, NC. We are 3.5 hours from Charleston and Myrtle Beach. Our three boys have made lots of friends. It's been a great move for us.

Let me know if you'd like to hear/know more!

Edited by Joe Jon Bryant, 18 April 2014 - 11:11 AM.

• Dianna likes this

#3 Beth62442

Beth62442

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hi Jen!

We live in Spartanburg too, although, not in the country (much to my hubby's consternation).  We live near downtown and I have to second Joe's opinion!  Spartanburg has a lot to do here, plus is very close to other interesting areas (as Joe mentioned).  There are probably more 4H clubs out where Joe lives rather than where we are... but I like being so close to the Chapman Cultural Center, Spartanburg Library and Converse College (which has lots of great concerts).   And, there are lots of nice state parks which are not very far away (we love to camp) and we can get to in three hours or less (great for weekend trips).  Greenville has many nice attractions and Columbia or Charlotte can make for a nice day trip for the many things they have available.

Very safe area to live and I actually know most of my neighbors (which I didn't get when we lived in Charlotte, NC).  Since we live on the east side of town, I rarely have to venture toward the mall (in relative terms the traffic isn't really that bad, but is more than I want to put up with) because we have a good amount of shopping here too. 

Let me know if you'd like to hear more about it!  :D

• Dianna likes this

#4 SouthernCross

SouthernCross

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

Thank you both. Joe, that is exactly what we are looking for. Are you familiar with Saxapahaw?

Edited by SouthernCross, 18 April 2014 - 06:27 PM.

• Joe Jon Bryant likes this

#5 Joe Jon Bryant

Joe Jon Bryant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Yes, I grew up in Winston-Salem and lived in Sanford the last 6-7 years. I have driven that stretch of 87 from Pittsboro to Burlington a few times, for sure. I've stopped in on the general store a couple of times, too. A great, sleepy town. Did you live there?

#6 SouthernCross

SouthernCross

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

We do... If ever I could find a Saxapahaw in SC, I may be sold. The sense of sustainable community here is unlike any I've ever experienced. While my husband insists on SC, Sax has my heart. If you were to come across something with the sustainable, eco friendly, barefooted, music loving,down to earth, river loving spirit that radiates from this place. Please let me know.

#7 TegaCaySchoolers

TegaCaySchoolers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

How about York or Clover, SC? It is GORGEOUS and rural, but you can be in town in 15 minutes (Rock Hill/Fort Mill) and in the city (Charlotte) in 30-45 minutes. I was just at the Curriculum Exchange in York and felt like I was in another world! There is so much wide open land, horse and agricultural farms everywhere...just quiet and beautiful.

#8 Maria Bassett

Maria Bassett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hm, you  might find some of what you're looking for north of Greenville in the northern part of Traveler's Rest area.  Greenville has a lot of folks interested in sustainable/organic/natural practices. There are a number of small business that have popped up lately along that vain and there are a lot of small family farms around.  Greenville is not really your sleepy, barefooted town, but you might find that farther north.  Oh, or how about Landrum?  I love driving through there, very quaint, small towny.  And easy to drive into Greenville, Greer, or Spartanburg, or up into NC for Hendersonville or Asheville. 

#9 stephmcgrath

stephmcgrath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

I live in the heart of Greenville so not exactly where you want to be but I wanted to give a shout out for being close to Greenville. We moved here 6 yrs ago after living in Charlotte, Fort Mill SC and Charleston SC. This is by far our favorite area...easy drive to Hendersonville and Asheville NC, only 2 hours to Charlotte and a few hours to Atlanta if you need your big city fix. This area is extremely family friendly and the Greenville/Spartanburg airport is great.

Stephanie

Stephanie