12 replies to this topic

#1 ljcarroll1977@gmail.com

ljcarroll1977@gmail.com

Larry (LJ) Carroll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Anyone else staying at Disney's Fort Wilderness?  We will be arriving on Saturday, September 6 and pulling out on Friday, September 19.  

#2 cato

cato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Yes we will be staying at Fort Wilderness! For sure sept 4th-12th but might add some days before or after, still working on it. But have stayed there a few times and just want more time to stay at campground and play.

#3 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

Is anyone renting an rv or has?  We are thinking about it for a few days.

#4 cato

cato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

I know Camping World rents RVs and im sure if you called Fort Wilderness they could recommend some places that might deliver and set up a camper for you. Also Fort Wilderness has cabins you can rent too. Many ways to camp.

#5 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

There's a website called fortfiends.  If you do a search, it should show up.  It has lots of info about Fort Wilderness.  I'm not sure if there's info on renting RV's there or not - as I'm not going to Fort Wilderness, but I stumbled upon that website at one point.  Last time I stayed there, was in the 80's, tent camping with the Boy Scouts.

Edited by kohlby, 28 June 2014 - 08:23 AM.

• skdrennan likes this

#6 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

Did people who stayed her have fun?  Would you do it again?  We went over and walked around on one of our nonpark days.

#7 skdrennan

skdrennan

NatureLovingMommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMcCormick, SC

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hi,
We ventured to Disney World with Carolina Homeschooler in 2012 and camped for 10 days at Fort Wilderness. WE LOVED IT! Looking over our budget, we had a choice of staying 5 days at one of the value resorts or for the same price we could stay 10 days at the campground. We are a camping family anyway and really enjoy that sort of thing so it was a no brainer for us. At the time, we only had a tent but still opted to camping and we are so glad we did! One thing that may have made our trip so wonderful is that we REALLY lucked up on the weather. I really didn't know what to expect with the weather so I packed a ton of tarps and a tent safe heater. We didn't even open the heater! The nights were perfect. We didn't get cold or hot. We also only got one night of rain and we were already snuggled up in our tent so we were fine. It was warm enough that all the pools were open and it was really fun to splash and swim around while listening to Christmas music which they had playing everywhere! The weather was also nice enough to spend a day at the water park and we never really got cold (we are from GA and live in SC and are use to really warm weather so we get cold pretty easily). We also never really got hot while spending those long days at the parks. The campground was decorated beautifully for Christmas! Many of the campers had their sites REALLY decorated...even more decorations than most people use at their house..it was fun to ride our bikes around at night and see all the decorated campers and Christmas lights. They also had a golf cart Christmas parade which was fun to watch. We went to Disney a few years before and stayed in a value resort for 7 days..we totally prefer the campground over the hotel. The only negative thing I can say about the campground is that it is HUGE. We are lucky that we could ride our bikes to get around..to the pool...the boat ramp...Chip and Dales campfire and outdoor movie...the restaurants..but most people had to bring or rent a golf cart which just adds to your expense. You can not really drive around in your car because there is no parking ANYWHERE and you could walk but it would take a LONG time to get to certain areas! There is an internal bus line but we felt it was to much waiting around and time wasted. The one plus that the resort had over the campground was that it was very easy to get around and to jump on a bus and take it to the parks. Our first Disney visit, we didn't drive anywhere..our car stayed in the hotel parking lot the whole week but at the campground, we just didn't want to wait for a bus to take around the whole campground and then get off and wait for another bus to take us to the parks. Since we were staying at the campground, parking at all parks was free and the parks are all very close so it just made more sense to us to drive to most parks...except for Magic Kingdom because the campground offers an AWESOME boat ride over to MK which my kiddo LOVED! Fort Wilderness made the vacation even more fun for us..it made it more of an adventure. It felt like 2 vacations in one..a camping trip and a Disney trip. SURE, a large resort room with a full meal plan would make the trip easier on Mom and Dad (Mostly MOM) but we still prefer camping and so does our little one. We have explored LOTS of campgrounds and Fort Wilderness by far was the best we have ever stayed at! We have our fingers crossed that we will get to return with Carolina Homeschooler in 2015 and if so, we will be staying at Fort Wilderness! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask..I will be glad to help.

Edited by skdrennan, 26 September 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#8 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

Thanks, loved hearing your time at the campground and how you did it!

I don't think September would be a good month for tenting.  But you guys did November?  And it was warm enough?  I guess it would be for tenting, but swimming I thought I heard mixed reviews for November on your trip?!?

#9 skdrennan

skdrennan

NatureLovingMommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMcCormick, SC

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

We have spent most of our lives in South Georgia and really don't deal well with the cold but I have to say that the weather during our stay was Awesome!!! We were there the first 2 weeks in Dec 2012 and had no issues swimming! There were lots of kids and parents in the pool everyday. The water park was not just do-able but nice and refreshing! We packed long sleeve items and pants also but ended up wearing all short sleeves, shorts or capris each day. On our last 2 nights, we finally needed one of our lightweight fleece pull overs. Either we lucked up on the weather OR we were just so excited and pumped up each day that we didn't notice the cold?? It was PERFECT!

#10 skdrennan

skdrennan

NatureLovingMommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMcCormick, SC

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

We did go one year in mid Oct..stayed in a value resort and from our experience..it was either raining or still really hot! Still LOVED it but loved our Dec trip even more!

#11 cato

cato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

This is our 3rd time at this campground. Stayed twice at a value resort for a quick visit but really missed the campground and all the extras w/ bikes, horses, campfire movies and marshmallow roast, fireworks on the beach, and etc.. This time we stayed 2 weeks just to have more time to play at campground and Relax. It is a big park so yes bikes are a must or a golf cart(pricy to rent). I like Sept. For low crowds and would face the heat any day than to wait in lines. Plus compared to July(Never again) when we went one year. Sept. Is not that bad. Bath Houses are nice and laundry facility too. Cable hook up and level paved sites with full hook up b/c we took our camper. We only ate out twice I do love having a kitchen and food to pack coolers for parks. Saves a lot of $$. On weekends I did notice pool more crowded and heard someone say they go there to camp on weekends and don't even do the parks. We camp all the time and the price per night there was cheaper than camping at Myrtle Beach. Kills me when I book my vacation with my parents in the Summer. I always have to say it's cheaper to stay at Disney!

#12 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

Does anyone tent?  If so what time of year?

What is it per night with your camper that it is cheaper than Myrtle Beach?

Edited by bless9ings, 27 September 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#13 skdrennan

skdrennan

NatureLovingMommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMcCormick, SC

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

We used our AAA discount and paid $42-$48 per night for our tent site. Camper sites seem to average about $75-$80 per night. Some more, some less! We did camp with our in laws at one of the nice MEGA myrtle beach campgrounds (not even close to as nice as Fort Wilderness) last summer for $99 per night. It was at http://www.myrtlebeachtravelpark.com/