ljcarroll1977@gmail.com

Fort Wilderness Campground

skdrennan    24
skdrennan

skdrennan, We will be at the Fort!  We have 4 other families coming as well.  We are very excited to return to Disney with Carolina Homeschooler.

Yeahhh! We ❤️ Fort W.

Sksmith    1
Sksmith

Anyone camping at the Fort for the 2017 trip?  This is our first time to camp at the Fort in our travel trailer.  We are looking forward to being in the comfort of our home on wheels.  The kids are excited to have familiar beds to crash in at night.  How is the bus transportation in the Fort in November?  We don't have a golf cart and I refuse to pay the price for one that we won't be using much. 

• Like 1

Dianna    499
Dianna
1 hour ago, Sksmith said:

Anyone camping at the Fort for the 2017 trip?  This is our first time to camp at the Fort in our travel trailer.  We are looking forward to being in the comfort of our home on wheels.  The kids are excited to have familiar beds to crash in at night.  How is the bus transportation in the Fort in November?  We don't have a golf cart and I refuse to pay the price for one that we won't be using much. 

We always have travelers staying there, so hopefully they'll chime in here. The bus transportation will get you where you need to go, but it takes a while, so I'd recommend driving instead. If you use their buses, they'll take you to a transfer stop at the campground, and then you'll have to take another bus to get you where you want to go. So it's a two-level process each time, resulting in it taking up to an hour to get anywhere. It's okay, but not ideal. BUT, it's a great campground.

• Like 1

cato    6
cato

We love Fort Wilderness and yes there is a bus system from Fort Wildernrss to everywhere in disney. There's also a ferry that takes you from campground to MK and also a place at MK you can catch monorail to Epcot.  For several years we have just parked and never moved our car the whole time. Last year we did drive to parks some b/c it was faster especially on day of a morning class and I don't wanna be late. If you stay in park you will get a parking pass. I've never had or rented a golf cart so far, I've been fine with a bike and trailer to pool, store, or ferry. The experience at campground is so much better than any hotels. Nothing like your own house on wheels. 

• Like 2

the5coops    10
the5coops
On 8/8/2017 at 6:17 PM, Sksmith said:

We will be at the Fort along with 4 other families from the Dallas area.  We have stayed at the Fort over 20 times and love it each time.    Here are on my tips including transportation.

1.  Request a campsite near transportation specifically loop 100, 200, 300 (pet loop), 400.  You can easily walk to the Settlement to catch a boat to MK or a bus to MK (they change the bus and move it to the outpost some years).  Also, if the big boat (left side of the dock line) is not there or has a huge line, take the small boat (right side of the dock line) to the Contemporary, walk through the hotel and turn right.  It's a quick 10 minute walk to MK.  In the evening we sometimes take the Contemporary boat home because the line is very long for the big boat.  When the kids were little, we would run up to the snack bar and get the kids a snack so the line would shorten at the Contemporary.  Be sure you ask how late the boats are running that evening.  (You could also take snacks to eat inside MK while waiting for the boat line to go down.)

We use our car to everything else.  The internal and external bus system is slow and parking at the parks this time of year is easy (except during Food & Wine Festival at Epcot).  It's also wonderful to go back to your car when you are tired and not wait in line for a bus.  Since you will be staying on property, parking will be free.

2.  Christmas decorations will be up at the campsites.  If you have time and don't want to walk, rent a  golf cart for 1 day and drive the camp ground to look at decorations (and the rigs, only campers get that) and then drive to the beach at the Settlement and watch fireworks at MK (They pipe in the music).  This year they have changed the fireworks show so I am not sure how visable they will be.  Maybe pick A Very Merry Christmas Party night because it is a different firework show.

3.  We sometimes drive to the Poly and eat their counter service, it has fun selections.  We also drive to the Earl of Sandwich in Disney Springs (aka Downtown Disney).  Get the Holiday Sandwich!  Otherwise I cook our dinner over night in the crock pot.  Sometimes we eat it for breakfast and then warm it up when we get back.  The Settlement has good pizza and a chicken meal for take out.  You have to order in person (no phone calls).

4.  Washing machines are wonderful at the Fort and you can use a credit card.  The comfort stations are very clean and have lots of hot water.  You must use your key for entry during certain times.

5.  We usually get to the park at rope drop, come back to the camper at 11 or 12 eat, swim, nap and then go back to the park around 5ish.  It depends on the park closing.  On Epcot days we like to stay for the bands and no one is in Future World at night so we head to the park around noonish and stroll around until fireworks (and stay in the world until the people clear out).  

It's been over a year since we have been to Disney so things could have changed.  

I could go on!  If you have other questions, let me know!

Shelley

Oh, swims late after you get back to the park are fun too!

Edited by the5coops
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Flykristy    7
Flykristy

Hi,

We will be staying at the fort, this will be the first time for us as we've only had the RV about 9 mo.

• Like 3