23 replies to this topic

#21 Beth62442

Beth62442

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

We had talked about homeschooling when my oldest was in preschool.  We just had no idea how to go about it, and frankly were very intimidated.  That's one thing we would change if we had a time machine, but... c'est la vie...

Elementary school was tough for our oldest.  He didn't have many friends, but the kids were at least polite and courteous.  There was some teasing, but nothing out of the ordinary.  He was in the gifted program which gave him some flexibility to study things he really liked.  His grades were good...

Then middle school came, and those same kids who were polite and courteous turned nasty. (Really nasty.)  His 6th grade History teacher was showing movies like The Gladiator, 300 and Monty Python and the Holy Grail to her class (I love Monty Python, but I think the premise that it talks about medieval history is a pretty big stretch).  In 7th grade, the bullying got so bad and his grades were slipping so much that he didn't even finish out the school year.  The school never took any of our bullying complaints seriously anyway.  They "never saw anything" so it was just dismissed out-of-hand.  Over Christmas break, we purchased lots and lots and lots of different curriculum to try and dove in head-first.

When we started homeschooling, I discovered my child who was in the "gifted" program at school couldn't even tell me what an adjective was... or an adverb... or a preposition.  It was quite a shock!  I soon found out just how many "holes" he had in his education and was disgusted.  We decided that when fall began, our other two sons would be homeschooled as well.  

My youngest (5) has to be the one I am most nervous about teaching.  He will never have been in public school, so the burden of his ENTIRE education rests squarely on our shoulders.  It's a daunting proposition, but for as much as I am nervous, I am also excited.  We're looking forward to being able to spend more time together as a family (and not doing hours of pointless homework), to tailor our children's education to their interests (medieval weaponry and blacksmithing anyone?), and reinforce our family's values rather than have our children's education determined by the most up-to-date political claptrap of the day.

Rant over... sorry...   ^_^

• Dana likes this

#22 Angela Armstrong

Angela Armstrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

I'm sorry you son was bullied, I lived through that myself and almost committed suicide in middle school because of it. I vowed I'd never let my kid suffer like I did. Best of luck to you guys.
  • Beth62442 likes this

#23 Gina

Gina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

My children have always been over scheduled with outside activities. (All my fault lol). My husband has his own small business and is frequently out of town and I'm a realtor (part time). We started with public school at home to allow them the chance to be children after the school day was done. My son is currently at York Prep in Rock Hill for the second year in the fall (10th grade). It was hard to send him, but he does better for someone else than he does me (school wise) and he missed sports, it was not the same playing when he was homeschooled. He felt out of the loop.

My daughter, a gymnast (with wild dreams), wouldn't go to brick and mortar if you paid her. We enjoy the freedom, she gets to be in the gym during the day, when most kids are at school. We do trips, museums, and it's a ton of fun. We changed over to, option 3 to give us more freedom, to allow her some say in the classes and to get away from something's we didn't agree with. We will have 16 days completed for the month of June and it has been the best 16 days of school ever! Don't get me wrong, somedays I would love to send her off, and when I feel the urge, she goes to Nana's!!
  • Dianna likes this

#24 Jen

Jen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

We researched homeschooling when my oldest was born because we were zoned for horrible schools in FL. We moved here when he was 2 and decided to try the local school which has pretty good ratings. Halfway through kindergarten, we were encouraged to have him evaluated for ADHD. We ended up with a medicated 6 year-old who wouldn't eat and couldn't sleep. He started showing signs of anxiety and was chewing his fingers til they bled. We got referred to a psychiatrist and a behavioral therapist. By the end of second grade we were DONE. In 2012/2013 I brought him home for 3rd grade, threw the meds in the trash and have never looked back. Turns out all the anxiety was a side effect of the ADHD medication. Now I get to have all of my son. Not just the part that was crying in the morning because he didn't want to go to school. Not the part that got off the bus exhausted and still had 2 hours of homework to do (in 2nd grade!) He has regained his love of learning. His younger brother joined us at home after Kindergarten. We just finished our first year with both of them home (my second year with oldest son). We say we will take it a year at a time but I don't see them ever going back. We have already started 2nd and 5th grade.  :D

• Dianna likes this