#1 stephmcgrath

stephmcgrath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

I reviewed the Option 3 law information and it was very helpful - thanks! 

It just occurred to me that the core requirements (not surprisingly) do not include physical education or the arts. However, if I'm counting hours of schooling - do I / can I count any hours he is doing a sport or music lesson? Or is that seen as not counting toward the 4 hours? as another example - what if he's attending tutoring for a foreign language - that is not a requirement for elementary school but if he does it does that "count"?  Just trying to think through my record keeping, etc.

thank you!
Stephanie

Stephanie

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

Hi Stephanie, there is no hourly requirement for homeschooling Option 3. You just have to document 180 days.

All learning counts, even if it doesn't fit neatly into one of the required subject areas. You're not limited to teaching just those subjects.

Warmly,
Dianna

• stephmcgrath and ShadanJem like this

#3 Laura Launius

Laura Launius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

That's the great thing about homeschooling is that learning doesn't have to fit in a box :)   Bike riding, swimming, bowling, litle league, youth basketball, gymnastics and dance classes --- that's all PE for us.  Music lessons, art classes, etc. all count as part of school too.  The nice thing also is that by high school those same things can be part of your electives :)

• stephmcgrath, Beth62442 and Gina like this

#4 stephmcgrath

stephmcgrath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

OK...HUGE aha for me! I thought even with Option 3 you had to do 4 hours to count as a day. Guess I need to work on MY reading comprehension! LOL

I love this because one of the issues we are having with school, is that there just aren't enough hours in the day to do what he wants and I don't believe in overloading kids. However, I do believe that things like sports are important. He's been playing little league and sometimes we do not get home until 8:30p and then he can't get up at 7am to get ready for school the next day.

This homeschooling stuff is getting better every day  ;)

• Dianna likes this
Stephanie

#5 Maria Bassett

Maria Bassett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

And it doesn't have to be in a neat 9-3 school day either!  My husband wants in on this, and he already reads with them each night and like to do projects after dinner.  Building an RC car with Daddy, while he teaches them about friction, after dinner, totally counts.  I'm planning to save a lot of the science and some of the reading stuff for Daddy!

• Dianna and stephmcgrath like this

#6 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

Weekends, summers, midnight star-gazing and interesting discussions, catching an unplanned TV special on the Civil War, or NASA, or black holes, or the Great Depression, or whatever, counts. If you're on a trip and listen to audiobooks in the car, that counts as reading/literature. If the books touch on science or social studies topics, then they count as that, too.

Learning happens 24/7, 365 days a year. Your challenge is to remember to document it for 180 days out of those 365, starting on June 1, and running through May 31 (if you're a member of my 3rd option association).

Warmly,

Dianna

• stephmcgrath likes this

#7 charlestonpanic

charlestonpanic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

Dianna,

Do summer camps count toward the 180 days?  I'm assuming yes, but want to verify before I use for record keeping.  

Thanks!

Darci

#8 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Dianna,

Do summer camps count toward the 180 days?  I'm assuming yes, but want to verify before I use for record keeping.  

Thanks!

Darci

Yes. All learning counts. It's important for our children to understand that learning happens all the time - not only when they're on a schedule, not only from textbooks and workbooks, not only between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:00 pm on Mondays-Fridays, August-May. If they truly understand that, they'll be in learning mode the rest of their lives - always curious, always absorbing new ideas and information.

Warmly,

Dianna

• stephmcgrath likes this

#9 Beth62442

Beth62442

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

Yes. All learning counts. It's important for our children to understand that learning happens all the time - not only when they're on a schedule, not only from textbooks and workbooks, not only between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:00 pm on Mondays-Fridays, August-May. If they truly understand that, they'll be in learning mode the rest of their lives - always curious, always absorbing new ideas and information.

Warmly,

Dianna

I find it interesting that summer camps can count... my oldest is a boy scout an will be going to summer camp to earn merit badges in Environmental Science, Reptile and Amphibian Study, First Aid, Archery and Archaeology.  So those days could be counted as homeschool days?  I guess I could use the merit badge books to provide documentation, huh?

Beth

#10 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

I find it interesting that summer camps can count... my oldest is a boy scout an will be going to summer camp to earn merit badges in Environmental Science, Reptile and Amphibian Study, First Aid, Archery and Archaeology.  So those days could be counted as homeschool days?  I guess I could use the merit badge books to provide documentation, huh?

Beth

Yes, it counts. It's important to get out of the mindset that learning only happens when it's planned, scheduled, directed, or approved by someone else. Children learn the most, and retain what they've learned much longer, if they're the ones who initiate it, take ownership of it, and/or have input into what they're learning. I don't know of any research that doesn't support this fact.

Traditional schools don't allow student-led learning because teachers don't have time to mentor/facilitate a class full of students if each of them are learning different things, and it would be too expensive for them to provide the resources for each individual student even if they did. (And because all the materials would first have to be passed through committees to make sure they're "suitable" - however they define it.)

As homeschoolers, we don't have any of these constraints. So just remember that children (and adults!) learn 365 days a year. It'll be your job to document 180 of those days (if you're a SC homeschooler).

Warmly,

Dianna