• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SHELLYinSC

SHELLYinSC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

I have a 7 year old son who has ADHD and a 5 year old son who has Klinefelters Syndrome.

My ADHD son is advanced for his age in reading(on 3rd grade level but is in 1st), and math(on 2nd grade level). But he is having issues with finding the right medications because he can not go to school without meds. The main reason i decided to home school. The meds he is on is causing severe migraines and they are frequent. I have got to get him off the medications. Today he was med free and didnt do so well in school. I cant wait until this year is over with. I want to teach him how he learns and at his pace.He is so smart. But he is only interested in things he wants to know about. He loves science stuff, i do too. He loves to read. He hates to write. He likes math.

My 5 year old son, He is the opposite. He is hard to teach. He doesnt know hardly any letters of the alphabet. Very few numbers. But he can write his name and has very neat handwriting. Its better than some adults. It took his father and I a long time to get him to learn all his colors. He is very stubborn.With Klinefelters Syndrome, they tend to have learning disabilities. He is a little behind on things he should know by now. I know if he stays in public school they will end up holding him back. He is also very smart but in very different ways than my 7 year old. He is great at problem solving and loves art. Hes quite the little artist. I like art too. My grandmother is an artist. He has imagination out the ying yang. Whereas my 7 year old doesnt have much of one.

I was reading through some of the other posts and came across one about the required hours for option 3. I also thought it had to be 4 1/2 hours per day. So now i am wondering how to document all of this. What activities and things count as what subjects and how do i describe it? I saw cooking as part of it, how does that fit in?

Im just clueless on all of this, but am so excited to get my kids out of public school and to teach them what they want to learn and make things fun!

Any and all advice is WELCOME. Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by SHELLYinSC, 06 May 2014 - 07:05 PM.

Shelly

Mama to
Chase (age 7),
Carter & ^i^Dakota^i^ (age 5)

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Welcome to our community, Shelly!

It sounds like homeschooling will really benefit both of your children. You won't have to worry about the labels and meds anymore, and can instead focus on the learning.

First, I would recommend that you follow their interests as much as possible. The public school system has probably focused so much on what's "wrong" with them, that what's "right" about them probably has gotten lost along the way. If they're good at reading, let them read. If it's a book about the Revolutionary War, then great... you can count it as reading and social studies. If you go to the museum, count that as a field trip and count a whole day's attendance. If you cook with them and they help you with measurement, that's math. If it's a dish that's typical of Mexico and customary for celebrating Cinco de Mayo, then that's social studies. If you do an experiment, that's science, etc.

If they're not good at writing, or math, or whatever, don't do that for a while. Let them rediscover that learning is fun, and that they're capable of learning and there's a lot of things right about them. That their labels are just ways they learn differently, and that's all.

When you get a chance, read through my FAQs here: http://www.carolinah...r.com/afaq.html

They answer a lot of the questions that new homeschoolers often have about homeschooling. Then feel free to ask any additional questions you have. :)

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

Hours are not required- days are.  You are required to cover science, social studies, math, reading, and writing - but the how is up to you!  Things like music, pe and art are not required, but definitely a plus!

As for the 5 year old, if you go through the homeschooling options, then you have to document.  Otherwise, you can do a waiver and not have to start until first grade age - the year after they turn 6 by Sept 1st.

I keep a student planner and just write the subjects and what gets done on each day.  I'm brief - like math - Exercises 5.5, or reading, the book's pages or chapters read.  I write down when I switch resources/books the first day and then it's just pages/chapters.  There's also other activities that may not use any books.  You could write Home Ec - Cooking.  Or math - Fractions through cooking.  It's fine to keep it brief.  It's also fine not to have clearly defined subjects at that age.  You want it documented that the core subjects were addressed, but it's okay to overlap.  If you do a lot of overlap, then it might be better to do it more in a journal/narrative form, which could be done in a regular notebook.  "The child looked up recipes and read through them to decide which one to use. We discussed fractions and he converted the recipe from 8 servings to 16.  He then followed a bread recipe and discussed how yeast works".  Etc.  One the child does high school credit courses, then having them clearly defined becomes important for college applications.

My eldest hated writing too at that age.  So we did a lot orally and in discussion form.  He did have to write for math, but he didn't mind that.  For writing, he wrote his own books.  Once the rough copy was done, he would write just one or two sentences and draw a picture.  That limited writing was what we needed - as he could focus on just that.  It helped his fine motor skills additionally since he drew a picture.  He didn't enjoy drawing initially but now does.  Don't forget about things like playdoh and legos to help with fine motor skills too.  There are ways to help with fine motor skills without actually writing - which makes it a lot easier to get in more practice.

Most of all - have fun and be flexible!  There's an excellent chance that you'll stumble at times.  Those are opportunities to change how you're doing things, not failures.  We've had our share of stumbles - they're great learning experiences.

Edited by kohlby, 06 May 2014 - 07:44 PM.

• Dianna likes this

#4 SHELLYinSC

SHELLYinSC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

Thanks :)   Could you provide a link or is there a link to examples documentations? I would love to see an example of someones journal. Thats the route i want to go. I would like to jot things down as we go instead of having things planned out. Which is weird for me because i am OCD and have to have things planned out a head of time. But this is a first for me and i think i am going to enjoy it also. Do i have to have every subject documented for every day? Like each subject taught every day? I am a visual and hands on learner. i like to see examples of others work to get a good idea about it.

Edited by SHELLYinSC, 06 May 2014 - 07:48 PM.

Shelly

Mama to
Chase (age 7),

#5 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Shelly, I'll work on some examples soon. I've been meaning to do that! In the meantime, though, I'd recommend keeping a weekly journal instead of a daily journal so you won't feel stressed about doing every subject every day. If your children do an experiment or project that they're really into and spend all day on it, then that will count as a week's worth of science (or social studies, or whatever), and then you can work on other subjects on other days. Since you'll document at the end of the week, it'll all go down for that week. In another column (I use an excel file), I list attendance for that week (5/5/14-5/9/15 - for example).

I hope this makes sense. I really need to post examples (I'm visual, too!).

Warmly,

Dianna

• stephmcgrath likes this

#6 SHELLYinSC

SHELLYinSC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

Both my kids got acceptance letters to the school they go to now, for next year. I already registered my 5 year old for kindergarten. Can i go back and sign a wavier and not do home schooling or public school for him? Or do i have to enroll him in homeschool now? And then have to withdraw them from public school?? so confused lol. Sorry for my typos and short hand. im use to texting. And im not on an actual computer much.

Shelly

Mama to
Chase (age 7),

#7 SHELLYinSC

SHELLYinSC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

It does help. Cant wait to see the examples. Thanks Ladies. I cant wait to get started. I havent become a member yet but i will be signing up as soon as i get paid this week.

Shelly

Mama to
Chase (age 7),

#8 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

Shelly, if you're certain you're going to homeschool next year, you can go by there and tell them you'd like to withdraw the registration and sign a kindergarten waiver. If you're planning to register with my association, you may want to go ahead and register him along with your older son so he can participate in the field trips and online book groups, etc. If you're not certain you're going to homeschool next year, you may want to wait until the beginning of the school year to say anything to them.

#9 SHELLYinSC

SHELLYinSC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Thanks. I think im going to sign the waiver and let him chill out for the year. I mean he will be present during older bothers schooling so he'll be learning something. And I'll still work with him on things. I'll just have to only document the 7 year Olds things. I think that will work out best since it's my first year.

Edited by SHELLYinSC, 07 May 2014 - 06:41 PM.

Shelly

Mama to
Chase (age 7),

#10 SHELLYinSC

SHELLYinSC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

I'm still confused as to how to do the journal thing.
Shelly

Mama to
Chase (age 7),

#11 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

I use an excel file, but to make things even easier, get an academic planner similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B00HN9065K

Then, each day you do something, write it in the block. Each block that's written in counts as one day, so it serves as an attendance record, too.

It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Warmly,
Dianna

• stephmcgrath likes this

#12 Madelyn Hignight

Madelyn Hignight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

I use an excel file, but to make things even easier, get an academic planner similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B00HN9065K

Then, each day you do something, write it in the block. Each block that's written in counts as one day, so it serves as an attendance record, too.

It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Warmly,
Dianna

Dianna,

I'm new to homeschooling as well and I appreciate the visual link to the planner to get an idea. Under the Option 3 in the state of SC, am I required to provide documentation of attendance or is that for the other options?

#13 Madelyn Hignight

Madelyn Hignight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

Sorry Dianna,

I just read a response you gave to someone in a seperate topic, in response to the same question I gave you. So, now I understand even under Option 3, I am required to provide documentation that we did "school" for at least 180 days of the year.

#14 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Dianna,

I'm new to homeschooling as well and I appreciate the visual link to the planner to get an idea. Under the Option 3 in the state of SC, am I required to provide documentation of attendance or is that for the other options?

Madeyln, Option 3 parents are required to have a record of attendance. It doesn't have to be elaborate - it just needs to show that you document 180 days each year.

Warmly,
Dianna

#15 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

Sorry Dianna,

I just read a response you gave to someone in a seperate topic, in response to the same question I gave you. So, now I understand even under Option 3, I am required to provide documentation that we did "school" for at least 180 days of the year.

My feelings are that our students (and parents, too!) learn 365 days a year. We're just required to document 180 of those days.

Warmly,

Dianna

#16 charissa

charissa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hello!

We have just relocated to South Carolina (Myrtle Beach area) and I want to homeschool in the fall. I am a former special ed teacher (from Virginia). However I feel very overwhelmed! I am thinking option 3 will fit best for us but I am not sure how all of this stuff works. I have some specific questions you might be able to help me with:

1. Do I need to submit a form to the state telling them my intent is to homeschool? (and if so do I have to do that every year?) and if so where do I find the form?

2. In order to do option 3, I need to join an association correct? (like the one you have?)- is this consider an umbrella program?

3. Is there a "checklist" listed somewhere for option 3 that lists step by step (and in order) the process to begin homeschooling? (for example #1 submit intent to state, #2 join an association, etc.)

Thanks so much for any and all help. I am not as worried about finding curriculum or documenting/planning but I am nervous about how to begin.

-Charissa

#17 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hi Charissa,

Welcome to SC! You don't need to submit anything to the state - your Option 3 association will take care of the legal aspect for you. Option 3 associations are similar to umbrella groups like in Alabama and other states. My FAQs will help take you through the steps (http://www.carolinah...r.com/afaq.html), start with the Beginning Homeschooling FAQ here: http://www.carolinah....com/afaq3.html.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,
Dianna