• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Angela Armstrong

Angela Armstrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

I have a rising 4th grader and I am so tired of the public school mess already.  I homeschooled in 1st grade and used Abeka.  This went well for us but decided maybe he needed more of a professional teacher to teach him.  I only have a high school diploma and was not a good student.  I am worried if I homeschool that when we get to high school I wont be able to teach subjects he needs if he chooses college.  Also. how in the world do I give out grades correctly?  Will him not having a state diploma hold him back in furthering his education or going into the workforce?  If anybody has insight to share on any of these questions please let me know.  My e mail is aadenise71@aol.com and any help would be greatly appreciated!!! 

#2 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

Will homeschooling work for your family right now?  If you think it may, then I'd strongly suggest trying it out again.  Do not worry about high school yet - focus on giving your child what he needs now.  Having only a high school diploma says absolutely nothing about your intelligence, so don't let that limit you.  Even people with all sorts of fancy degrees aren't experts in everything.  For me, foreign language was my biggest fear.  So I found a computer-based program that worked for my eldest- something that needs zero involvement from me.  Luckily, I've discovered that he doesn't have the same foreign language issues that I have. My weakness isn't getting in his way.  Though it's probably more than just a weakness for me.   I struggle learning things orally but was able to easily overcompensate in school with everything but foreign language.  Otherwise, I could just learn alongside him.  There are tutors out there.  There are co-op classes.  There are lots and lots of options.  Unlike public school, if something isn't working, you change it.  We have so many options.  I've seen way too many elem teachers who couldn't teach math - and they were still teaching it!  At least you don't have to teach it the school's way, so if you struggle with teaching anything, your student won't have to struggle.

As for giving out grades - you don't have to give out grades.  It does make high school transcripts look prettier, but you can use your own scale.  Like A = full mastery.  B = good understanding, C = struggling but learning some

He can have a diploma - you can issue one.  I don't know about you, but I was never ever asked to show my diploma for a job or to apply to college.  I was asked for a copy of my transcript, which you can write up.  (And get help writing up - there's lots of info online on how to do that). 

• Dianna and stephmcgrath like this

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

Taking a break from my packing for our New York City group trip - just wanted to second all of the advice above.

You don't have to give grades - you can give a written summary/assessment for each subject area, or us S for satisfactory, or N for needs improvement, or something like that.

To qualify for SC scholarships, high school students must have numerical grades, but that's way down the line and I wouldn't even worry about it right now. I help with that (via my association), and do transcripts for my seniors. It's not as big an obstacle as a lot of new homeschoolers think.

I've never (and neither has anyone in my family) had to produce a diploma (for high school or college) for anyone. The transcript is what colleges/employers want.

Back to packing...

Warmly,

Dianna

• stephmcgrath likes this

#4 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

Well I've had to submit my diploma for some 3rd option associations.... but that's been the only time... and I'm sure the transcript would have worked as well.

For high school, dual enrollment at a tech school is also a possibility. I plan to use one for science in high school so we can have outside grades and a better lab.