stephmcgrath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

hi all - 

As a working from home mom just starting the homeschooling journey, I'm curious about some of the things available that my son could attend for a day or two a week (without me) to help balance my time. So far I've read about Artios, Vanguard Academy, and a few other Co-ops. Does anyone have any experience with any of these or have other ideas? Maybe even a tutor that could help? My son will be second grade level.

Or perhaps there are other families on here with kids a similar age that are interested in getting together once a week and sharing the responsibility? My sister-in-law is in Florida and she keeps telling me about all of these great resources and I'm struggling to find exactly what I'm looking for here. But perhaps the issue is that I'm not exactly sure what it is that I want! lol 

:unsure:

Thanks,

Stephanie

Stephanie

#2 aterrellsmith

aterrellsmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

Upstate Homeschool Co-op in Taylors is highly recommended by others (but we haven't used it). Artios looks good to us, so we are going to try it next year for our 3rd and 4th grade boys. Don't know much about Vanguard. Classical Conversations is not drop-off, so that wouldn't qualify. You may also be interested in Veritas Academy. It's a 2-day University-Model School that meets off August Rd. (veritasgreenville.com).

#3 Maria Bassett

Maria Bassett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi Stephanie, I am new to this homeschooling thing as well, but I thought I'd share what I have come up with for my family.    Initially I was interested in the Upstate Homeschool Co-op, as we had several friends from our church there.  However, they are so full I would not have been able to get all my kids in.  We decided to go with Vanguard.  (I have a son going into 1st grade, as well as a son going into k4 and a son and daughter at home who are 3 and 1.)  The communication with Vanguard so far has been great, and while it costs a little more than Upstate, I like that I can pick and choose the classes a little bit.  The volunteer requirements were also a little more workable for me considering I have the other two at home.  I know a few families with older children at Vanguard and they have been happy.  It does seem like Vanguard's program is starting to grow and become more popular, so they must be doing something right.  I'm excited about it and I hope its a good fit for my family. 

Some other things we are doing:  I'm planning on year-round school.  Starting in June, in fact,  So, we are doing some summer camps over the summer at the Children's Museum, and we got a membership to Roper Mountain Science Center ($35) so we can do their second Saturday's and their Friday night planetarium programs. 

I'm looking into some art classes or gymnastics, etc.  Something else to get them listening to someone other than me for a little bit!  I'm finding there are a lot of art classes, both on a weekly basis and as a one time Saturday morning type of thing.  And of course there are summer camps.  I'm trying to figure what we can afford.  There are several summer reading programs at the Greenville County libraries this year that your son might be interested in (the author or Pete the Cat books is coming, also some music folks and puppet/theater stuff) which are all free.  Also, I'm finding a lot of programs do "after school" programs that homeschool kids can always participate in (art studios, music studios, bricks for kids).  I'd like to find or start a junior lego team that my son can be on.  Before staying home I was an orchestra teacher, so I'm getting my kids started on violin, and I'm hoping to maybe get some other kids together and do a little ensemble, too.  Also, I found a Spanish tutor who will come to my house and work with all my kids for 45 minutes or so once per week.  (I found her through WyzAnt.)

Anyway, like I said, I'm new to this.  But I saw your post and figured we must be in about the same area so I thought I'd share our plans and maybe that will give you an idea or two! 

#4 stephmcgrath

stephmcgrath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

Thanks guys!

Maria - let's definitely stay in touch! We are doing at least one camp this summer at Bricks 4 kids (the Space/Star Wars one in June at their new second location). We did several of those last year but their main location is a haul for me. He's doing a baseball camp one week as well. Plus swim lessons.

If anyone is interested in martial arts I have a fantastic recommendation - Greenville Academy of Martial arts on Pelham Rd. Sifu Jason runs it - I met him when he was teaching classes at my son's preschool a few years ago. My son just started classes with him this week and I'm very impressed. There is no kid-vs-kid combat...it's all about focus, respect, and learning to defend yourself IF you need it some day. It just so happens that he and his wife also homeschool ;-) Most of his classes are late afternoon or evening. I'm wondering if we had enough folks interested if they would maybe add an earlier class for homeschoolers? just a thought.

Music is next on my list to figure out. My son tried Suzuki violin about a year ago and it was an epic fail. He was bored to tears. However, he LOVES music so I'm trying to figure out what to try next. He's done a little keyboarding at school and liked it. If anyone has any thoughts let me know!

thanks,

Stephanie

Stephanie

#5 Maria Bassett

Maria Bassett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

Some kids do not do well with Suzuki.  (Some teachers don't either, which is why I don't teach that way.)  If he's still interested in an instrument, look for traditional lessons...it will be a completely different feel. 

And yes, lets keep in touch!!

Edited by Maria Bassett, 30 May 2014 - 07:05 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: artios, vanguard, co-ops