• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Angela Armstrong

Angela Armstrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

I would like to use a non common core curriculum, but I've heard the sat's are moving in the common core direction. Does anyone have thoughts on this? If my son wants to attend college I'm worried this would cause a problem.

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Angela, I'd wait it out and see what happens. If the SAT moves towards Common Core, maybe the ACT (also a college entrance exam), won't. Regardless, I refuse to change the way I homeschool because of one test. It's nothing but a number, and it's a hurdle we can figure out how to get past once the time comes.

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 Angela Armstrong

Angela Armstrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

I agree, knowledge is so much more than a number. If you find any new info on this, please let me know. This message bored is such a help! :)

#4 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

I'm not concerned.  My kids are ahead of what the public schools do on average, so I figure they'll be just fine.  They will take practice SAT's when the time comes to get them used to how the questions are asked.  In homeschooling, we're able to ask our kids how they came up with the answers they did or why something is so.  They easily get those higher level thinking skills since they're in MUCH smaller classes.  I figure that as long as we keep the dialogue going to the why's - then it shouldn't be an issue.

Even looking at CC aligned materials, some of it doesn't look any different than math used to look.  Some does.  CC is a set of standards - not a method of teaching.  It does try to add more depth - the process being important as well.  But homeschoolers aren't as good as public schoolers at sliding by unnoticed when they don't understand.

As for the verbal section, I'm actually thinking the changes may help my eldest.  Though I did fine on my verbal section as a teen, it was still 200 points lower than my math.  I did well in advanced English classes but the way the verbal was made the kids who over-analyzed things do worse.  And I was one of those as is my eldest. 

I

#5 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

My understanding is that both SAT and ACT are making changes after 2014-2015.

Ds took the SAT this year with a talent search & will again next year, but after that it'll be a new test.

Common Core isn't going to be a big deal for us as homeschoolers. And testing helps will be out to prep for the new versions, so it won't be a huge change UNLESS you're in the group that has kids needing to take the SAT/ACT in 15-16... they're the ones that'll be the guinea pigs :(

But what I read suggests that the SAT changes are mainly due to ACT cutting into their market share.

#6 SamIam

SamIam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

The SAT will actually debut it's new version in the Spring of 2016.  One of the primary changes is that the writing portion will be removed, which is a huge improvement since that has always been a debacle.

#7 Angela Armstrong

Angela Armstrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. It has been such a help to a newbie! Lol.