4 replies to this topic

#1 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

How many years worth of records do you keep?  GA sets how many years to keep, but I haven't seen any place where SC is specified.  Of course, we'll keep the high school documentation until the end of high school - but how about the rest? 

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

I keep my biannual reports/attendance records from year to year, but usually throw away samples/etc. a few months into the new school year. I know other families who keep everything until college. It's not stipulated in SC homeschool law, so do what you feel comfortable with. If an audit is requested (rare) for any of my members, I'll request records from the current school year.

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Wow, I wasn't even thinking of tossing them just a few months into the new school year.   I still have first grade stuff from my oldest who just finished 5th grade.    I'm thinking GA said 3 years, so it sounds like it should be no issue using that.   I don't know anyone who has ever been audited - so I didn't know how many years they would want to see.

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

I also keep my journal from each year (it's on my computer, excel file). I forgot to include that in my post above.

#5 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

Wow, I wasn't even thinking of tossing them just a few months into the new school year.   I still have first grade stuff from my oldest who just finished 5th grade.    I'm thinking GA said 3 years, so it sounds like it should be no issue using that.   I don't know anyone who has ever been audited - so I didn't know how many years they would want to see.

I'm trying to declutter and live as paper-free as possible, so that's why I don't keep a lot of stuff. I do keep some of their papers/essays from year to year in case they ever want to look back at them. It's more sentimental than anything else, though.

If an agency were to request an audit for one of my members, I would request only current records (many may have been in public or private school in previous years).

Warmly,

Dianna