5 replies to this topic

#1 Kristi Hopkins Pahr

Kristi Hopkins Pahr

Kristi P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hi y'all, I'm new to the site and new to Orangeburg. I have a young son, he's 2, and obviously we aren't officially homeschooling yet, but we definitely will be when he's older. Since we moved here, I haven't met anyone or found any groups to join. If any of you guys are local, I'd love to get our kids together. I realize this is off topic for homeschooling, but since we'll be starting soon-ish, I thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks!

#2 Wendy Michele Mosteller

Wendy Michele Mosteller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hey Kristi!

Welcome!! We live right next to Orangeburg, we live in Swansea. Not far from Orangeburg. Living out here in the country is great but the one draw back is meeting new people. ;) Especially when you homeschool! We are going on our 4th year here and we travel to West Columbia, Lexington, Columbia, etc. for playdates, parks, co-op etc. It is just where the majority of the homeschoolers are and where you can find the best locations as well. I have 3 children 7yo, almost 10yo and 16yo. Have you found any groups that you have liked yet to be apart of? that is really how I started connecting with others. I have several I can tell you about that I have joined and their location and such if your interested.

• Dianna and Kristi Hopkins Pahr like this

#3 abjacques06

abjacques06

Angela Jacques

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

Hi Kristi!

We are also relatively new to SC and live about 20 minutes west of Orangeburg, right off of Hwy 4, in Neeses. This will be our first year homeschooling, so all of this is new to us too. We have 3 kids: 5 yo boy, 3 yo boy, and a 2 month old girl. There is a very active and helpful homeschool association in Orangeburg, Orangeburg Christian Home Educators Association (http://ochea.net/about/). I have spoken with one of their directors over the phone who was extremely helpful in guiding me in what steps we needed to take to homeschool legally in SC. OCHEA provides a lot of activities/events. They also have a co-op that meets every other Monday to provide PE, Art and Music classes for the elementary age groups. We will definitely be teaming up with them in the fall. To participate with them, you do have to be a member with an "Option 2" or "Option 3"(such as Carolina Homschooler) accountability group as well since OCHEA is not an accountability group. 

There are about 3-4 moms who get together every Thursday at the Orangeburg County Library on Louis Street for story time. It's at 10:30 am every Thursday. The story time on Thursday is for ages 2 and up. There's another one on Wednesdays at 10:30 for infants to 3 year olds. Our kids really enjoy story time and getting to spend time with their friends. We moms enjoy getting together to encourage each other as well. 

Hope this helps! Welcome to Orangeburg!

• Dianna and Kristi Hopkins Pahr like this

#4 Kristi Hopkins Pahr

Kristi Hopkins Pahr

Kristi P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

I think we're neighbors! I live on hwy 4 close to neeses. I'm about 5 miles from the Piggly Wiggly. I did go to story time once but we had a really bad experience. We started going to St Matthews for story time instead. I'd live to get together sometime.
  • Dianna likes this

#5 abjacques06

abjacques06

Angela Jacques

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

We are neighbors! We live about 3 miles from the Piggly Wiggly. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience at story time. Isn't the drive to St Matthews a lot further than the drive to Orangeburg? We go on Thursdays pretty much every week. It's rough when a lot of people show up, but usually there's only about 8-12 kids. Ms. Dennis is very good with the kids, especially once she gets to know them. The other mom's I get together with at story time have young children and are also planning to homeschool their kids. I would definitely love to get together sometime.

#6 Kristi Hopkins Pahr

Kristi Hopkins Pahr

Kristi P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

We live just past Slab Landing Rd so it takes me about 25 minutes or so to get st Matthews taking back roads. The story time there is a lot of fun and totally interactive. Lots of singing and finger pays. Max is a really active,physical kid and he loves it. The one time we went to O'burg the story teller kept stopping and asking me to make him sit. We finally just left bc he doesn't sit and I was uncomfortable. It's well worth the drive. It's on Wednesdays. Y'all should check it out!