Maria B

Record Keeping

Maria B

Hi everyone!

We are about 2 weeks into our homeschooling adventure.  I have one student I have to keep records for (1st grade) and a K4, and K3.  (I'm keeping records for the K4 child, for my own practice and files).  I guess I want to just make sure I'm keeping track correctly.  I'm using Sonlight, so the plan book is made for me, though I am not following exactly (too much in a day for my crew, so we are taking our time, doing about 3 "days" over the course of a week).  What I am doing is putting our "assignments" into a homeschool tracker computer program.  That gives me a printable list for each day (subject, books/pages read, pages completed, and any notes I make about it).  It does the same thing for field trips. Any other activities we do (nature walks, museum time, etc) I put in as if it were an assignment with just a few words about what we did.   Is this enough?  How much detail do I need to put into the description of our fieldtrips and other activities?   Right now I'm just listing what we saw or did.  I feel like I should be writing skills or standards or something (I taught in a school for five years I am trying to "undo" some of my teacher-ness as well), but some of these trips aren't skill oriented, they are just great experiences. 

Also, as far as portfolios, how big are these typically?  How much should I be saving?  I have some photographs from fieldtrips so far (we're going to be a big field trip family, I think.)  I try to have my son do some writing about those trips/pictures.  Other than that, I'm just planning to use a booklist as we're doing a lot of reading out loud, and then I'll have their math workbooks, handwriting books, and language arts workbooks.  I figure I can pull some of their best pages out of those.  Is that about right? 

Last thing, I know I don't have to meet a certain amount of hours per day.  Some days are 2 hours, some are 6.  It just depends on mood, what else we're doing, etc.   I'm going to hit my 180 pretty fast because we're doing some almost everyday.  But I'm still recording all the days, to give a full picture of our homeschool-especially since we're not hitting every subject every day.  Right? 

Thanks for all your help!!  This is an adjustment, but we are loving it! 

Dianna

Maria, it sounds like you're already doing plenty. You don't have to write standards. That's such a time-waster, in my opinion, and has nothing to do with learning (and everything to do with sucking the joy out of teaching for teachers in the public school system).

Some subjects are skill-oriented (math, writing), and some are content-based (history, social studies), and listing activities is absolutely fine. Nature walks can be listed under science and PE. Museum visits can usually be listed under social studies and science, etc.

For your portfolio, just keep samples of your children's best work every month or six weeks or so, and also brochures, photos, etc., that you collect from field trips, museums, etc., a book list, a list of movies/documentaries, pictures of experiments and projects, etc.

For subjects that have worksheets/tests, just pull some of those out to include in the portfolio.

For more information, visit my FAQs here: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/afaq7.html

When recording days, you can record half-days and full-days, depending on how things go that day, but they must equal at least 180 days. They can be more than that, though.

Do you have access to my member's area? There's more information (and forms) there.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

Maria B

I thought I had access to the members area, but I don't see it, so probably not.  I know I saw an e-mail from you about that.  I'll go back through and look.  Thanks!