#1 Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Carolina

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

I have 18 breeds of chickens and can supply fertilized eggs to those who live in the Columbia area. All you need is an incubator. If you are interested in hatching some chicks as part of a life cycle lesson, let me know. I can't guarantee any one particular breed, but I can supply a rainbow of differently colored eggs. You can reply here or email me at frankhdgs@gmail.com .
  • Dianna and Gina like this

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

Frank, what kinds of chickens do you have? We have Rhode Island Reds, Golden Comets, and Buff Orpingtons (I think that's right... not sure of the spelling because this is my daughter's 4H project and my husband is the one who helps with that). She won best of show for her Rhode Island Reds last year at the 4H show.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Frank Hodges likes this

#3 Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

I have:
Silver Duckwing Wellsummer
Black Silkie
White Silkie (large / standard)
White Silkie (small / bantam)
Buff Silkie
Partridge Silkie
Plymouth Barred Rock
Ameraucana
New Hampshire Red
Golden Sex Link
Red Sex Link
Black Sex Link
White Crested Black Polish
Buff Laced Polish
Composites
White Leghorn
Blue Andalusian
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Black Orpington
Serama
Golden Comet
Araucana
Indian Red Jungle Fowl
...and 19 barnyard mutts from cross-breeding...
*And Frizzles, which are Ameraucana crossed with Welsummer, Dominique, Marans,Orpington, and Light Brahma
**PLUS...Royal Purple Guineas
***Don't forget the PiDoves - result of a pigeon getting in and molesting white doves!

#4 Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

These are some of the colors of eggs I get...I got these yesterdayAttached File  20140623_095142-picsay.jpg   129.66KB   0 downloads

#5 Tyler

Tyler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

How beautiful! If our HOA allowed chickens, we would definitely make the drive to see you.

#6 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

Frank, wow! Katy would love having the different colored eggs! Our eggs range from a light tan (not white, but very light) to brown. Store-bought white eggs look weird to us now.

Do you notice that they taste different? Katy's hens (the ones who won best of show) were sold to a lady who said that the Rhode Island Red's eggs have the best taste. (She had to sell three back as per 4H rules - she didn't want to, though!) I've wondered if anyone else can taste a diffence.

Dianna

• Frank Hodges likes this

#7 Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Oh, there is definitely a HUGE difference in taste. They have a richer taste to them. And, depending on breed and diet, some even taste sweet - perfect in desserts. I try to put a rainbow of colors in every carton we sell so that people can see how different / beautiful non-store-bought eggs are. If you ever want to hatch some, or are interested in chicks, let me know. Feel free to send a friend request on Facebook - you can see all 100 chickens (18 breeds), the eggs, the hatching pix & videos, the guinea keets, the goat, and the rest of the menagerie.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: science, life cycle, chickens