3 replies to this topic

#1 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Would anyone be interested in taking a group Covered Wagon trip in the Rockies? The trip length varies (the longer, the more expensive - 2 day/1 night would be around $300 or $400 per person, a little less for younger children... can't remember exactly; and a 4 day/3 night trip would be around $800, a little less for younger children. That includes meals and accomodations (tent or wagon), and an amazing adventure (from what I hear from others who've done the trip), but it doesn't include airfare or hotel pre- and post- wagon trip. 

I wouldn't mind putting something like this together for us for this August or roundabouts, but want to know if there's enough interest first. I think we need 20 or more to have our own wagon train, and we may be able to negotiate better discounts.

What do you think?

Dianna

#2 Carole Hill

Carole Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Dianna, holy cow!!! My whole crowd would be in for this but, and its a big but, someone has to stay home and milk the cow!!! Ugh!!! LOL!! It sounds wonderful. If you you get enough interest we will make it happen, for at least 3 of us!

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Carole, there are a few more families interested. Hopefully they'll join us here so we can work out the details.

There's another wagon train that's a week-long trek in North Dakota (so we'd be in the plains rather than the Rockies). It's less expensive (half the cost of the 4-day trip I'm considering), but you have to bring your own camping gear and pitch tents every night of the trip. With the other one, you can sleep in the wagons (badded bunks) or in tents that they set up for us. It's a little less rustic in a few other respects, too. And we can add side-trips to Yellowstone and other things.

They both sound appealing in different ways. Which do you think you'd prefer?

Dianna

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

And I'm still LOL about someone having to stay home to milk the cow! My father-in-law lives right beside us, so he can take care of our goats and chickens for us, but I'd have to worry about that, too, if it weren't for him! (The chickens are Katy's newest 4-H project... lots of farm fresh eggs around here.)

Dianna

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trips, history