• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Georgiagirl

Georgiagirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

We are staying at Pop Century. Our arrival date is Sept 4 departing on Sept 15. Our daughter was wondering if anyone else will be at Pop.

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

We're staying at the Dolphin (our group hotel this year).

Dianna

#3 Tuffy4God

Tuffy4God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

We were going to stay at Pop, but I switched us over to All-Star Sports because I was able to save some extra money.

-Stefanie

#4 Oklamom

Oklamom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

We are arriving Sept. 5 at Bay Lake Tower for 4 nights, then moving to Animal Kingdom Lodge for 5 more nights. Anyone joining us?

We have stayed at Pop Century the last couple of visits and enjoyed our stay. We liked to request the 60's building with a lake view. These are standard rooms so they are not higher priced like pool-view or preferred room. The 60's building will be closer to the main pool and food court, but these rooms are on the "back" of the building so not higher priced :)

#5 Georgiagirl

Georgiagirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

We were going to stay at Pop, but I switched us over to All-Star Sports because I was able to save some extra money.

-Stefanie

We had planned on staying at AS Sports, but AS Music has their food court being redesigned, so the overflow from there will be going to Sports. We didn't know how much of an impact it would have but went ahead and decided to forgo one of our "big" meals and paid the extra for Pop.

#6 Janey Hathcock

Janey Hathcock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

We are at Art of Animation for 4 nights then POP for 5 nights.

#7 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Oklamom - We stayed at AKL during one trip and enjoyed it.  It was back when our third child was under three though - we can no longer stay in a standard room there with the 5 of us.  We were upgraded free from a regular view standard free to a savannah view and bunk beds.  It was a wonderful surprise!   I was a bit nervous about Disney transportation, since AKL is further from most of the parks compared with other resorts - but it was easy and not an issue.

This trip, we're at the Dolphin and then off-site.  That way we can look forward to the ease of on-site transportation for the first part of out trip and having enough beds and room the second part of our trip!  We've stayed at the Dolphin several times in the past and always enjoy it.

#8 squirrellyec

squirrellyec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Janey!

We'll be staying at Art of Animation as well.  Hoping we don't miss too much fun being away from the group hotel.  Maybe we'll run into each other during some down time.

#9 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Dianna,

Do you know how many families are staying at the Dolphin?

#10 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

btw Our family is staying at the Dolphin.

#11 Oklamom

Oklamom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Can I add onto bless9ings and ask how many families or students are coming? We are so excited! See ya real soon ;)

#12 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

I think we have around 40 families staying a the Dolphin this year. :)

#13 Donna Palinkas Donato

Donna Palinkas Donato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWaxhaw, NC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Dianna,

Do you know how many families are staying at the Dolphin?

We are staying at the Dolphin.  I have one 10 year old ~~~  Is there going to be a group meet and greet at all?

#14 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hi Donna,

I won't do any scheduled meet & greets due to my experience with them in the past. Everyone has the best intentions of showing up, but once they get to Disney, they get busy, and tired, etc., and don't show up. I promised my family I wouldn't do that to them after multiple meets where no one showed up (out of hundreds).

Instead, I'll make announcements on Facebook when we go to the pool, or elsewhere at the hotel and anyone who'd like to join us is welcome to.

Warmly,

Dianna

#15 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

I don't blame you at all Dianna!  Hopefully we will run into you so we can introduce our family from Maine and thank you.

I most likely wouldn't like a meet and greet, but it would be nice to informally run into some of you all.  Now that I know there are 40 families alone at the Dolphin I will be walking past families and wondering if they are part of the group.  If we only had some unobtrusive way of identifying ourselves.  I can see myself now wanting to ask every family I walk past, "Are you from the homeschool group?"

It is too bad we have been all too busy to talk to each other.  We are finally going this year and I have been on here less this year then I think the previous years researching to do it and then didn't!  It seems that there was more interaction last year.

Well I have not properly introduced my family and info.  I will jot it down and when you see a family that matches this description you can stop us and introduce your family.  Our family is usually spotted by everyone who walks past us, so feel free to introduce your family, even if you see us in the park. 

Husband - tall, dark and handsome

Me - 5' tall

DD (dear daughter) - turning 21 while we are there

DD - 19

DD - 11

DD - 10

DS (dear son) - 7

DD - 5  is very friendly and tends to wander off to talk to other people

DS - 3

DS - 10 mths old  - he might be seen carried in a pink baby ergo

We have two other sons who are married, so will not be with us.

Another thing you will see that is a clue it is us:  we will be sporting a Bob side by side double stroller.  I don't think you can miss our family if you are people watchers!  Feel free to stop us and say hello.

We are staying at the Dolphin Thursday, September 11th - September 18th.  (We had the 9th and 10th also, but I am in the process of canceling those days.  I just booked rooms at the Champions World Resort a couple of miles away for $38/night. ($75 for both of our rooms/night)  I had to bring the cost down to what we were originally planning on spending.  We will be in the Tuesday, September 9th educational classes.  We will be using our Disney passes from the 8th - 18th.

• Dianna likes this

#16 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

^^^^^  I'll be at EP that day as well for classes with my three kids.  (Split up into two groups due to ages).

Planning to meet up would likely be tough for us too as plans change. There's an excellent chance my 11 year old son will be at the Dolphin pool many evenings with one adult while the other one gets the other two kids to sleep.  (We're the 6th - 12th for Dolphin and then off-site).

#17 Donna Palinkas Donato

Donna Palinkas Donato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWaxhaw, NC

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

I understand ~ I like your idea of the posts while at the hotel ~ hopefully our schedules will chime together once or twice and we can chat.  I was hoping to find a friend for my 10 year old - any single children staying at the hotel you know of? 

#18 Georgiagirl

Georgiagirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

Donna, we are travelling with just our daughter as well. She is hoping to find friends to hang out with.

#19 Donna Palinkas Donato

Donna Palinkas Donato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWaxhaw, NC

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Where are you staying?  We are at the dolphin, what is your name?

#20 Georgiagirl

Georgiagirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

We will be at Pop. I am Susan Davis. My daughter is Karalynn (She will be the kid with green hair), my husband is Leeland.