Photo

Broke my wrist. 54 days out. What should I do?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Janey Hathcock

Janey Hathcock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Hi everyone. I am so excited about this trip as always. I fell last Wed and broke my right wrist. I had surgery to insert plate and screws. I go tomorrow for post op and he already told me it would be pushing it to go. He doesn't know how determined I can be. My friend had the same break in Feb and thinks I will be fine. She is also a nurse. I will not have a cast and will do therapy diligently. Any thoughts or suggestions. I should have use of hand and fingers soon just got to watch strength. I don't do too many rides but have to do a few. Prayers needed too. It will be just my daughter and myself but she can carry our stuff or we will use bell services.

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,644 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

Janey, most of Disney's rides aren't thrill rides, so I don't think it would be a problem to go. The thrill rides (where you'd hold on because you're scared of falling out ;) ) may cause a problem for you if the doc tells you not to use your wrist.

Also, are you driving? If so, will you be able to drive comfortably with your wrist the way it is?

If your friend is a nurse and had the same break, I think you could trust her judgment, but if you have doubts, please email me. If the doc or your nurse friend have never been to Disney (have they?), then maybe neither really know whether or not you could handle it.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Janey Hathcock likes this

#3 squirrellyec

squirrellyec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

Janey,

I will be 8 months pregnant, so I understand your worry.  Not the best timing.  Many of the rides have warnings if they have bumps and jolts.  You can check the website ahead of time if you were looking forward to particular rides.  This is my first time, but I have been assured there is plenty to do still despite my limitations.  I'm sure you'll still have a ton of fun!

#4 Janey Hathcock

Janey Hathcock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

I will be finished with physical therapy by then. I will wear my brace if need be. My favorite things todo won't be affected. Eating, watching shows and just looking around. Thanks for the encouragement. I have been many times and just love it especially when Dianna is involved. She is a magical friend to have.
  • Dianna and squirrellyec like this

#5 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,644 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

What a sweet thing to say, Janey. I think you're pretty magical, too!

Warmly,

Dianna