• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa Schroeder

Lisa Schroeder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I see dates have been picked- will we be getting a Disney Hotel discount this trip? Any ideas which hotels you may be getting a special rate for? 

Too early?

:D

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hi Lisa,

I tried to get a group discount for us again at the Swan, but they couldn't meet my requirements (not over $200, and that's including taxes, parking, resort fees, etc., and preferably less).

The other Disney resorts are even more, unless we want to go for the moderates or values, which can often be reserved just as inexpensively with a good room-only discount.

So unless the Swan comes through for me, you'll get a better deal planning your own stay. If you plan to stay at a Disney resort, I'll keep an eye out for good room-only codes when they start posting them for our dates.

If you're looking for off-site hotels (or whatever), check out the off-site recommendations thread.

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 Jennifer Berry

Jennifer Berry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

If anyone in your party is military or even retired military they can get some awesome discounts on Disney resorts: I wanna say 20% on Value resorts, 30% on Moderate, and 40% on Deluxe.  Only thing is the qualifying person has to BE there with their military ID card when you check in, so it only works if they're part of your travelling party.  If we go this year it will be b/c my parents come along and we get my dad's retiree discount.  Check out mousesavers.com to see if there are any other discounts you might be able to use.

#4 Leanne Smith

Leanne Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Yes mousesavers is great..also I know some Disney agents..I will run our dates through them and post what I get...the swan did look wonderfully.

#5 Leanne Smith

Leanne Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Will the Xmas decorations be up?

#6 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Yes, maybe not all of them (they may be in the middle of building the gingerbread houses instead of them being finished, for example), but there will be a lot to see. Also, the Osborne Family Lights should be available. Absolutely beautiful.

Dianna

#7 Lisa Schroeder

Lisa Schroeder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'll probably look into renting points then for a dvc. Any idea if we will be at universal for a part of the dates? I'd like to stay at a universal hotel if we are going there!

#8 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Universal will be an option again this year, and I think I'll get the 2-day tickets.

Warmly,

Dianna

#9 cewewee

cewewee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

I was really hoping to get a discount at Art of Animation.  We stayed there last year, and it was awesome!  Love the extra space and 2 bathrooms in the suites!  

#10 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I was really hoping to get a discount at Art of Animation.  We stayed there last year, and it was awesome!  Love the extra space and 2 bathrooms in the suites!  

We should get a room-only discount during that time of year. (A group discount would probably be around the same rate as the value period discount the public gets.) I'll keep an eye out for discount codes and post them when they come available.

Warmly,

Dianna

#11 autm_brze

autm_brze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

This will be my first time going on a trip with you, and also our first family vacation. Could you tell me what a room only discount is and I want to make sure that as of right now we should book the lodging ourselves? Please help Im really confused

#12 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Dianna,

When you got the Contemporary rooms a couple of years ago, do you remember what the discount rate was?  I remember I was blown away with the price you were able to get!  And, or what was the discount you got off the Swan(?) last year?

What is going on that you can't get the good discounts this year?  Are there really that many changes this year?  I haven't been following Disboards alot so, I am not up on what is all going on.  I read a splattering from time to time.   I had heard that the rates are up like usual, but that they are not giving as many discounts this year.

Are you still going to offer any block of discounted rooms or is everyone just going to book their own at Disney?

If you are not doing this, is it because the people will most likely be able to get a room discount on their own and there is no advantage for you to do all that?

Edited by bless9ings, 23 February 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#13 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

This will be my first time going on a trip with you, and also our first family vacation. Could you tell me what a room only discount is and I want to make sure that as of right now we should book the lodging ourselves? Please help Im really confused

Hi Autm, and welcome! :)

If you want to stay at a Disney resort, they usually give room discounts during slow periods of the year. The time we go is usually considered slow (what Disney calls a "value" period), so they offer 20%-40% (sometimes more) discounts off of rooms. That's what I mean. They'll announce the code, and you call them and reserve the room, tell them the code, and you'll get the discount.

You don't need to book lodging yet, but start researching the different options available and then book when you're ready. I've got you covered for the tickets, but you'll need to handle your rooms.

Warmly,

Dianna

#14 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Dianna,

When you got the Contemporary rooms a couple of years ago, do you remember what the discount rate was?  I remember I was blown away with the price you were able to get!  And, or what was the discount you got off the Swan(?) last year?

We were able to get Contemporary rooms for $175 plus tax (around $198 or so total, I think). It was a "being there at the right time" kind of thing and will never happen again, probably. Swan was under $170, including tax, parking, resort fee, everything. Also a good deal, but they can't do it again this year.

What is going on that you can't get the good discounts this year? Are there really that many changes this year? I haven't been following Disboards alot so, I am not up on what is all going on. I read a splattering from time to time. I had heard that the rates are up like usual, but that they are not giving as many discounts this year.

Prices have gone up across the board at Disney - rooms, tickets, everything, and they're phasing out the discounts and perks. They worked to draw people in (evidenced by the more crowded "value period" dates), and now they think they've got them, so they're phasing out the discounts and perks (according to those who know more about it than I do).

Are you still going to offer any block of discounted rooms or is everyone just going to book their own at Disney?

If you are not doing this, is it because the people will most likely be able to get a room discount on their own and there is no advantage for you to do all that?

Unless an on-site hotel meets my criteria (under $200 inclusive of everything), I won't get a group block. I won't do off-site, values, or moderates, because I usually don't have enough interest to meet my minimums.

#15 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

If you don't mind answering, what are your minimums?

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to answer all those questions!! 

What you said about what has happened this year has been discussed on Disboards for years actually, so I guess they finally decided this year they could do it with all their regular people who come and that people will still book vacations and they can't afford all the discounts anymore because of the biggest expansion they have made since they opened in 1971.

Edited by bless9ings, 23 February 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#16 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Minimums vary by hotel, year, economy, how well I can sweet-talk them, etc. :)

Regarding the phasing out - they've been phasing out the free dining for three or four years now (by taking away portions of it, requiring more minimums, shortening free dining periods, making it more expensive for values, etc.). Now they're working on phasing out everything else. Before their expansion efforts were directed outside of Florida (their international parks), and now they're more focused on Disney World. My guess is that they're still feeling the bite from their international expansion, and their new US expansion is hitting them a lot harder.

Oh, that reminds me - one of the reasons crowd levels have increased more this year than before is the Fantasyland expansion. It's drawing people in droves, and we really felt it in December. Hopefully a new part of the expansion won't have their grand opening when we're there this year.