Sign in to follow this  
kohlby

Trouble with kindy waiver in Lexington County

kohlby

Is there anyone here who lives in Lexington county who could tell me how getting their waiver went?  (And which school they used could be helpful too - so the school that is doing it incorrectly can call the one that understands it). There's a mother in my homeschooling group who is having a problem getting one.  They're telling her that she missed the July 15th deadline and she now needs to write a letter to the principal saying that she'll be homeschooling - which I know is not correct.  (And July 15th doesn't make sense for a deadline either, as public school registration is still going on!)  She talked to three people at the school before anyone even knew what she was talking about with the waiver.  She's moving to Aiken county in Oct, so another question is if she needs to do anything when she moves. 

Dianna

I recommend that she print a copy of the law (see http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/alegal.html) and mail that to the school, explaining that there's no deadline stipulated in the law, and that she also includes a statement that she's waiving kindergarten for her child as stipulated in the law. She should keep a copy and send it via certified mail so she'll have a receipt. Chances are she won't hear a thing more from them.

Warmly,

Dianna

Dianna

I forgot to answer the question about moving. As long as she has proof that she waived kindergarten in her first county, she shouldn't have to waive it again in the second one. However, I highly recommend that she keep a copy of the statement and mail receipt, just in case she needs to proved that she waived it.

Warmly,

Dianna

kohlby

Thank you.  I'll pass the info along to her.  My response to her at first was to write the letter to the principal - but not to make her case for homeschooling, to let him/her aware of the law.  But she still needs them to let her do the waiver.   She mentioned that she was in Lexington - so not just Lexington county.  (I know that Lexington county breaks up their districts and each rules over it's own little section.  I didn't ask her which Lexington district she was under though).