9 replies to this topic

#1 HGlivingston

HGlivingston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSummerville/Cottageville

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

I keep reading about documenting the days.  Everyone seems to have a different opinion on documenting, what does the state accept as documentation?  Do I just jot down what we do, keep the worksheets from each day, keep all tickets from events and take pictures?  Not sure what to do.

I read that in SC we have to submit test scores, and/or professional evaluation of student progress.  How would I go about doing this?

Is it normal to feel totally scared your not doing enough at the beginning?  Will it get better?

• Birdy34 likes this

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

There are different ways to document educational activities, attendance, keep samples for a portfolio, etc. Once your membership is completed, you'll have access to my members area and there are forms you can download to keep track. (Or you can develop your own system.)

When you get a chance, read through my Record-Keeping & Testing FAQs here: http://www.carolinah....com/afaq7.html

Under Option 3 in SC, you don't have test or submit test scores.

It's completely normal to be overwhelmed and scared at first, but it does get better. I think you'll feel better after you read my FAQs (the one I linked above, and also my Beginning Homeschooling FAQ here: http://www.carolinah....com/afaq3.html

Reading through all of them is helpful, but those two will probably help the most right now.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Lorietta Purpura and HGlivingston like this

#3 Birdy34

Birdy34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

If it is any consolation, I am new at this, as well, and I am terrified.  However, I am also very excited because I know it will all be worth it in the end.  But the record-keeping does make me a bit nervous.  I feel like most people will be using Excel or some other computer model and I am doing all mine by hand.  But I found some great attendance sheets, as well as other resources free online.  Try Pinterest if you haven't already.  Lots of fabulous sources there.  Also just google the info you want.  I have found some fantastic ideas, resources, materials, etc all at little to no cost.  Just know you are not alone.  I am right there with ya in the nerves department.  :-)

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

If you're keeping records by hand, I'd recommend one of the At-a-Glance monthly calendars like this:

http://www.amazon.co...5/dp/B00J4Y5JSG

You can jot what you do in each block and it doubles as an attendance calendar (each filled-in block is one day of attendance).

Simple, effective, low-maintenance, and won't accidentally get deleted or wiped out with a computer crash. :)

• Birdy34 likes this

#5 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

I jot my plans down in a student planner. (Or fill in as they get done).  Like Dianna mentioned, attendance gets done easily this way too.  It's very simple.  I use a student planner because I want my children to take some control of their education and it's helpful if they can write things in too.   I like the weekly/monthy ones from Blue Sky.

For a portfolio, you just need some samples of the work.  Not all - just some.  You can put in a few photos of projects/field trips if you wish.  Or lists of books read, etc.  It's up to you! 

You do not need to do standardized tests under most option 3 groups.  (Though I read one group that did have it at one time - but that's very rare.  Just don't pick one that requires it!)  No professional evaluation is needed under option 3 either.  I do write up some sort of evaluation of student progress twice a year and stick it into the portfolio.  This can be a report card or just a summary.

As for what the state "accepts," the state doesn't look for specifics of how we kept records, and in most cases - will never ask to see our records!  Still keep them, as it is the law and it's best to be covered just in case.

Edited by kohlby, 23 August 2014 - 10:33 PM.

• Lorietta Purpura, Birdy34 and HGlivingston like this

#6 Mary Chappel

Mary Chappel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

We just started this week and I am nervous about the record keeping as well. I bought a planner that has a page for each month, each week, and a notes section. I write out what I plan on each day, then use the notes section on the next page to write what actually got accomplished and note any issues we are having. We started with a field trip and did some book work on the way to make sure we got our 4.5 hours in. Some of the book work was a struggle, but we got it done and ended up having a lot of fun.

• Lorietta Purpura likes this

#7 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

There is no 4.5-hour daily requirement for Option 3 homeschoolers. :)

Warmly,

Dianna

• kohlby and HGlivingston like this

#8 Lorietta Purpura

Lorietta Purpura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant SC

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

There are different ways to document educational activities, attendance, keep samples for a portfolio, etc. Once your membership is completed, you'll have access to my members area and there are forms you can download to keep track. (Or you can develop your own system.)

When you get a chance, read through my Record-Keeping & Testing FAQs here: http://www.carolinah....com/afaq7.html

Under Option 3 in SC, you don't have test or submit test scores.

It's completely normal to be overwhelmed and scared at first, but it does get better. I think you'll feel better after you read my FAQs (the one I linked above, and also my Beginning Homeschooling FAQ here: http://www.carolinah....com/afaq3.html

Reading through all of them is helpful, but those two will probably help the most right now.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

Happy to see this today. I just bought a  notebook to practice recording for my 4 year old to prepare for next year and I was a little nervous but not anymore!

#9 Lorietta Purpura

Lorietta Purpura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant SC

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

If it is any consolation, I am new at this, as well, and I am terrified.  However, I am also very excited because I know it will all be worth it in the end.  But the record-keeping does make me a bit nervous.  I feel like most people will be using Excel or some other computer model and I am doing all mine by hand.  But I found some great attendance sheets, as well as other resources free online.  Try Pinterest if you haven't already.  Lots of fabulous sources there.  Also just google the info you want.  I have found some fantastic ideas, resources, materials, etc all at little to no cost.  Just know you are not alone.  I am right there with ya in the nerves department.  :-)

I tried several ways this year and although I am not officially registered this year, this is just a trial run for my son and I as he is 4. I finally decided that a book and pen works best for me :) It's there for me to grab instead of turning on the computer. So, if yuo feel happy and comfortable with the way yuo are recording, just stick to it :) :P :P

#10 Jen

Jen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted Today, 09:51 AM

this one is very similar to what I'm using 

http://www.amazon.co...J2F4ZRHJHEPBHNA

This is my 3rd year and I finally feel like I'm using a method that works well for me. I also use Donna Young's Attendance H form.