Mary Chappel

I want to get to know you! - hobbies

Mary Chappel

I'm new to home schooling, but not all that new to online forums and would love to get to know more people. Do you have any hobbies? (besides chasing little people around, of course) 

I love being crafty. I love to knit, crochet, and sew. I also love to bake, but have had to put that love on the side lately because I also love to eat sweets! I used to love working out and was a gym rat, but the last two kids and last duty station (hubby is in the Army) had me taking a break from work outs so I am trying to fight back into loving it again.

So what about you? What do you like to do?

Birdy34

Hey Mary :)  Nice to meet you! I'm Amanda.  I, too, am new to homeschooling, and like you, I also enjoy crafts.  I am not that good at sewing and such, but I love painting and decorating. In addition to making pretty things, I like to take pictures.  I am not as good at it as I would like to be, but practice makes perfect, right?  I also enjoy going to state parks and wildlife refuges.  Reading is also a favorite hobby of mine.  I have never been crazy about working out, but now that I am getting older, I think I should try to get into it.  I used to go walking a lot but that was many moons ago.  I did enjoy it at the time, so maybe I will start there :)  I am very excited about homeschooling this year and look forward to getting to know everyone here.  :)  Have a good day!!

r5grant

Hi everyone! I, too, am a newbie at homeschooling. I don't have many hobbies, but I enjoy drawing when I have the time.  I also like to go to the gym - I just started working out again about 3 months ago, after not exercising for over a year due to an injury. 

I'm very interested in learning how to sew! I've been wanting to sew something for my 6 year old daughter, but never took the time to learn. Something else I wanted to try is cake decorating :) 

Hopefully I can tackle at least one of those things while homeschooling. I have read that we all should do something we enjoy to prevent burnout....

Mary Chappel

Hey Mary :)  Nice to meet you! I'm Amanda.  I, too, am new to homeschooling, and like you, I also enjoy crafts.  I am not that good at sewing and such, but I love painting and decorating. In addition to making pretty things, I like to take pictures.  I am not as good at it as I would like to be, but practice makes perfect, right?  I also enjoy going to state parks and wildlife refuges.  Reading is also a favorite hobby of mine.  I have never been crazy about working out, but now that I am getting older, I think I should try to get into it.  I used to go walking a lot but that was many moons ago.  I did enjoy it at the time, so maybe I will start there :)  I am very excited about homeschooling this year and look forward to getting to know everyone here.   :)  Have a good day!!

Hi Amanda! I am always envious of people who can make/organize in a 2D way (ie painting and photography) and even decorating. I'm way more able to handle 3D creations! I also love to read, I would read all day long if I could get away with it! I hope your home school journey is going well! We just finished our first week today!

• Like 1

Mary Chappel

Hi everyone! I, too, am a newbie at homeschooling. I don't have many hobbies, but I enjoy drawing when I have the time.  I also like to go to the gym - I just started working out again about 3 months ago, after not exercising for over a year due to an injury. 

I'm very interested in learning how to sew! I've been wanting to sew something for my 6 year old daughter, but never took the time to learn. Something else I wanted to try is cake decorating :)

Hopefully I can tackle at least one of those things while homeschooling. I have read that we all should do something we enjoy to prevent burnout....

I injured my knee once training for a 5k, not fun!! I hope your injury healed completely for you =) 

My mom taught me to sew when I was younger, but being a stay-at-home/work-at-home parent has encouraged me to dive into more of my crafty interests to save my sanity! It seems to help me stay focused and avoid mounting frustrations!

SouthernBelleMama

Hi! I know this post is older, but I hope it's okay if I join in. :)

I am a stay at home mom, have been since 2010, when my son was born. I really love being able to spend days with my son, who will turn 5 in January.

I am just beginning our homeschooling journey, but I am really excited about it! I do have moments of getting overwhelmed (like when I look ahead at some of the middle and high school level math, yikes! Its been a loooong time! lol)

My hobbies are reading (I could sit and read all day!) decorating, shopping...I have a bad habit of being all or nothing with exercise, lol. Now I'm in the nothing phase! This time last year I was an exercise nut (and 15 pounds lighter!) but I am striving now for a healthy balance.

I am so glad I found Carolina Homeschooler. I learned so much, from browsing the website! I plan to read Dianna's book ASAP! :)

SouthernBelleMama

Oh, I forgot to mention, I LOVE baking (such a sweet tooth!) I also love reading blogs, all sorts, cooking, fitness, decorating, fashion, ect. :)