megnichols

Looking for music lessons (northeast Columbia/Camden area)

megnichols

My 6 year old has been asking for months now to have violin lessons. We have a piano, which my husband plays, but he has zero interest in that. So, we're trying to find a music school or teacher where he could go once a week to learn the violin - preferably during typical schooling hours. 

I don't know really where to begin with this. Any advice would be appreciated :) Thanks!

Dianna

Hi Meg,

Where do you live?

Warmly,
Dianna

Dianna

Thanks for clarifying! I didn't see the Columbia/Camden tag in your post title before, but knowing your location will help others make recommendations.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Like 1

Maria B

Hi Meg, I wish I was closer to you.  I'm up in Greer and I teach violin (taught for several years in the schools, and now I just teach a few lessons at home to go along with homeschooling.)  Anyway, I don't know anyone down there specifically to recommend, but I have a few ideas.  Try contacting local stores that rent/sell instruments.  They often keep a list of private teachers in the area, you might ask who they recommend and sort of compare notes between stores and see if there are any common names.  I don't know much about the stores down there, but I do know Pecknell has a store down your way and I recommend for violin that you stay away from them to rent or buy an instrument.  Their instrument quality, up here anyway, is pretty poor.  Also, I'm not sure how close you are to USC, but they have an awesome music program.  You might find a music education student who could teach violin.  It would probably be cheaper for you and give the university student great experience. 

Lastly, instrument advice.  Rent, don't buy.  String instruments come in a variety of sizes to fit the child.  A music store can size them, as can a teacher (if you're stuck let me know and I'll find the measurements and tell you how to do it.  I just eyeball it now.)  As the child grows, they have to get a new instrument.  This can happen very quickly, or take a number of years.  You absolutely do NOT want a child playing on an instrument that is too big for them.  Now, that said, if you really, really, really don't want to rent or lease and just want to buy something and sell it later, check out sharmusic.com.  They have an inexpensive line of violins that for their price have a good sound.  (I have 4 kids, and I bought one for my oldest from them, knowing it would get passed down when he out grew it.)  They are a great company, I've been getting things from them since I was a student.  Please don't buy from ebay, or the Sears catalogue, etc.  Most of those are just violin shaped objects that are essentially useless (won't stay in tune, etc). 

Anyway, hope some of that helps!

Edited by Maria Bassett
  • Like 2

megnichols

Thank you SO much Maria!! This is very, very helpful. I love violins and have always wanted to play, but just never have gotten lessons for myself. I'm thinking about learning with my son, but idk how well that would work out :) You've given me some great places to start. We're about 40 mins from USC, so that is certainly an option. I never even thought of that.