Rebecca Shealy-Stone

Homeschool Band

Rebecca Shealy-Stone

Hi. My daughter is currently enrolled in public school. She has requested multiple times to be homeschooled again. But, she doesn't want to give up Band. 

Does anyone know if there is a homeschool band in the upstate of South Carolina? We live in Laurens County. We are willing to travel if needed. 

kohlby

I don't live in that area so no suggestions about a specific homeschool band, but she should still be allowed to do band at the public school. 

SamIam

There isn't a homeschool band in the Upstate.  I don't think that band is considered an extracurricular activity, because you do have to be in band class to be in band, so I don't think that the state law that allows homeschoolers to participate in extracurriculars applies.   That being said, you may want to contact your Band director at your local school directly, as they can often help letting your student still participate, especially in the smaller schools that I am assuming are in Laurens County.  Converse College does offer a youth band, anyone can participate, but that is in Spartanburg, so a bit of a drive from the Laurens County area.

Beth62442

My son is currently in the Converse College Youth Band.  They only meet once per week (the time will vary if you child is in Band I, II or III) for two hours.  That *is* quite a drive from Laurens County... but if you have another reason to be in Spartanburg and can arrange it for Thursday afternoons --- I'd go for it!