Pcmcvey

Is anyone using the accredited Abeka Academy and can offer advice?

Pcmcvey

My daughter is using the accredited Abeka Academy program this year for 4th grade.  With having 2 toddlers also we thought this would be a great way to help me split my time better.  We researched this program out before hand, I thought pretty extensively, but after the 1st quarter now I'm having 2nd thoughts.  I love the program and the work she is doing.  The past years I've wondered if I was challenging her enough and I definitely do not worry about that this year!  She is really being forced to use her noggin.  My hang up is that while I love the videos, so that I'm not teaching which allows me to focus on my 3 and 1 yr olds, it doesn't feel like home school anymore.  Since I'm not teaching her, I am not sitting with her through each subject and now I feel out of the loop.  I get way behind in grading her work.  The pace that the videos go is extremely quick.  There have been days when we needed to stop and take extra time on certain material or a certain subject and she gets behind.  Now tonight I was looking at our calendar on the abeka account and we are 2 weeks behind.  I feel like we are drowning.  I would like to make it through the rest of the school year and we are going to switch to a 10 month calendar which will stretch the year out until mid June (which helps).  Does anyone else use or has used this in the past and can offer any advice or tips on getting through?  For a multitude of reasons we aren't doing any support groups other than this at the moment.   I just need an outside perspective.

Thanks! 

Dianna

I'm not very familiar with Abeka Academy. Is it possible to customize the program to fit your needs better? Maybe drop the "academy" part and just do the curriculum on your own? Or drop some of the busy work?

How much of her daily work is just repetition and/or short-term memorization for a test and soon to be forgotten; and how much is true learning? (I'm concerned about your extending the year to fit everything in. My feeling is that all of you will need a long break if you keep going at the same pace. Adding more work/time will just make things worse.)

You said you love the program, so if there's a way you can customize it to work better for you and your daughter, that's what I'd try first.

Warmly,
Dianna

lisawoods3

I have used ABeka Academy for several years.  I have had 2 graduate down in Pensacola.  My 3rd child is set to graduate in May.  I always used the DVDs instead of video streaming.  That gave me a lot of flexibility.  One of my kids liked to watch all the weeks worth of math lessons in one day.  The next day, she chose a different subject.  With the video streaming, you have to watch all of the days lesson in each subject before moving on to the next day.  Also, with the DVDs, when my daughter understood the math concept, she could fast forward the DVD and not have to sit and wait for the teacher to talk again.  Part of the video is the teacher walking around the room letting the class do the work at their seats or on the board.  I also did independent study instead of the accredited program in younger years.  Your state may have different requirements, but I didn't have to do the accredited each year.  A Beka does require the senior year to be accredited.  There is a lot of work with the accredited program, plus you are on a time schedule (even if you choose 10 months) to turn in the work.  If your work is not in within 2 weeks, they will charge you $50 to grade it. They also have A LOT of busy work.  If you don't choose the accredited program, you can leave some of that out.  Hope this helps.