SouthernBelleMama

We are brand new to Homeschooling....

SouthernBelleMama

Hi all!

I have decided that 3rd option homeschooling is absolutely the right choice for my family. My son will be 5 years old in January, and as a stay at home mom, I have always worked with him, on preschool type things, and I do enjoy it!

I hope I don't sound ignorant, but I want to make sure I have a good understanding of what I need to do.

First, I need to join an association, correct? I already know that I DEFINITELY do not want standardized testing, or to go though my local school district at all.  With Carolina Homeschooler, standardized testing isn't required, correct?

One thing I really like, about 3rd option is that I will keep, and maintain, all record keeping, progress reports, portfolio's ect. It is my understanding that I will be responsible for all "bookkeeping", and do not have to submit anything to Carolina Homeschooler, until 10th grade, when transcripts enter the picture. Is that right? I don't send anything in, until High School?

The trips look amazing! Wow! What an awesome opportunity for the children (and parents!) Honestly, though, I do not know how many, or if any, we will attend. Would that be a problem? I hope not, but I just want to check beforehand. Also, I read that sometimes there is some fundraising, to help cover expenses with these trips (which is completely understandable!) But as someone whose child will be too young for a lot of the trips, or possibly won't participate in any of the trips, will  I  still be required to participate in the fundraising for them?

And lastly, I am free to choose what curriculum we use? Will I ever have to get any aspect of my teaching "approved", in any way? I like the idea of mix and match, and letting my child lead as much as possible, if that make sense? So we may be all over the place at times, lol.

I really, really hope these questions aren't offensive, in any way, that truly is not my intent. I just really want to make sure I know exactly what is required, and expected, of my and my child, when choosing Carolina Homeschooler as an association. There are sooo many asociations, and it's kinda overwhelming, I feel a huge pressure to choose the perfect one, for my son and I.

and choosing association is just one of the first steps, I am almost afraid of researching all the curriculums.... yikes!

Dianna

Welcome to homeschooling! :)

I'm copying and pasting from my membership page to give you more complete answers:

Do you require us to mail our records to you?
No. The law mandates that parents/guardians maintain their own homeschool records. However, Carolina Homeschooler reserves the right to request copies of your records if an audit is requested by any SC agency (DSS, DJJ, Department of Education, etc.). In this case, you must mail a copy of your records within three days of receiving my request.

Do we have to participate in any of your activities?
No, all of our activities are optional. Our goal is to enhance your homeschool experience, not add more requirements and stress. Feel free to join in as many activities as you want, and leave the rest.

You asked about curriculum approval and testing:

Do you require textbooks? Do you approve curriculum? Do you require standardized testing?
No, I don't require textbooks, approve your curriculum, or require testing. My experience as a school psychologist (and as a parent with over 20 years of homeschooling experience) has shown me that learning happens all the time, with a breadth and depth that can't be confined solely to textbooks or accurately measured by the narrow focus of standardized tests. Please feel free to use resources and assessment methods that best meet the needs of your family.

You asked about fundraising. I don't do the typical sales-type fundraising. My fundraising is Box Tops, Google Ads (when people click on the ads on my website, I get a small percentage of ad revenue), an Amazon Affiliation (if you use my Amazon link when you purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale even though it doesn't cost you more), and Tyson Labels.

I get Box Tops and Tyson Labels from non-homeschoolers, grandparents, people who've never been on trips with me, etc... just people who want to help us with our trips. They also use my Amazon link because it doesn't cost them extra and they shop a lot on Amazon so it helps us out. All that said - participation in our fundraising isn't required for members or non-members, so if you don't want to participate, you don't have to.

I think this answers all of your questions, but if not, let me know. And if my answers lead to more questions, that's fine, too! I know it can get overwhelming!

Warmly,

Dianna

• Like 2

Dana

Hi all!

And lastly, I am free to choose what curriculum we use? Will I ever have to get any aspect of my teaching "approved", in any way? I like the idea of mix and match, and letting my child lead as much as possible, if that make sense? So we may be all over the place at times, lol.

I really, really hope these questions aren't offensive, in any way, that truly is not my intent. I just really want to make sure I know exactly what is required, and expected, of my and my child, when choosing Carolina Homeschooler as an association. There are sooo many asociations, and it's kinda overwhelming, I feel a huge pressure to choose the perfect one, for my son and I.

and choosing association is just one of the first steps, I am almost afraid of researching all the curriculums.... yikes!

Rainbow Resource is a very dangerous place. Their catalog is larger than phone books :)

There is NOT a perfect association, support group, or curriculum.

Start out small and add in. Avoid switching curriculum until you know the one you chose isn't a good fit (don't curriculum hop), but don't be afraid to switch if what you're using isn't a good fit. We started with Spelling Workout and it really wasn't a good fit, but it wasn't until 3rd grade when I found All About Spelling that I had something to switch to!

• Like 1

SouthernBelleMama

Thanks, so much, for your replies! I really appreciate it! :)

Dianna, I'd be glad to send in any box tops I have, to help! Just let me know where to mail them, and I'll send them in, as Soon as I get envelopes full. :)

Dianna

Thank you for saving Box Tops for us! The address to mail them to is:

Carolina Homeschooler

PO Box 1421

Lancaster, SC 29721

Warmly,
Dianna

poppyksimpson

Dianna,

I just saw the bit about your Amazon link and you get money based on sales. I shop a lot on Amazon and would like to help the Carolina Homeschooler thru my purchases. Can I click on any Amazon link on the website and shop from there? I will be sending box tops and labels to the address provided.

Glad to be a part of the Carolina Homeschooler.

Poppy

Dianna

Poppy, thanks so much for participating in our fundraising. :) 

For Amazon, if you click on the Amazon box on any of my web pages, then it will work. Items that were already in your cart before you clicked the link won't count - you'd have to empty your cart and add them back. And if you leave Amazon and then come back before checking out, it may lose the link. Otherwise, it usually works pretty well.

For labels, I don't take them because they're worth only 1 cent each, and I would have to use them to get products and then sell the products to get money to apply to our trips. It's not worth the time/trouble.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Like 1