mwiebke

Math curriculum

mwiebke

Hi everyone!  I'm brand new here and new to the world of homeschooling, we are pulling our 7 year old from public second grade this week.  

I'm researching math curriculum for our buddy and like what I see in the Math U See program, can anyone here tell me about it or recommend others that I look in to? I liked the look of the Miquon math labs too but reviews weren't stellar and it only goes to third grade so it won't last long here.

Our buddy tested "gifted" in Math at his public school, placement tests put him around the 4th grade level at the beginning of second grade (whatever that means) so we need a program that will challenge him and push him to his fullest potential. We also have a 5 year old but they are polar opposites and I'm counting on them not being able to use the same programs/curriculum as they learn very differently.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, researching thus far has been nothing less than overwhelming as I'm sure you all know.  Thank you in advance!!!

Dianna

I've used Math-U-See, Miquon, and Singapore Math and like all three for different reasons. I found a combination of Miquon and Singapore Math to be a great combination at teaching the concepts behind the math. If you use those two in combination, I recommend only the first four books of Miquon to start with, and weave in the Singapore math as you go.

Math-U-See is working much better for my daughter than the Miquon and Singapore did (for my sons), so we're using that for her.

I'd recommend connecting with a homeschooling family in your area who is using any of these programs to see them for yourself and decide what you think would work best for each of your children. (Post a message in my Looking for Support forum to seek local families.)

Warmly,

Dianna

• Like 1

Dana

I really like Miquon with Cuisinaire rods for arithmetic understanding. It's the only program that I've been pleased with how they handle division.

I used Singapore Standards with my son. If Beast Academy had been out, I'd have used that (by Art of Problem Solving).

I haven't looked closely at MUS but I haven't liked some of what I saw.

AoPS has been the only math I've watched videos and haven't corrected things they say (although I did very little with Singapore or Miquon). I've taught math at the cc for over 15 years now...so I tend to have strong math opinions.

That said, the program that works best for your family is the right one to use.

The foundation with Miquon is excellent even if you do work quickly through it.

mwiebke

Thank you for the replies!

Dianna, can you elaborate on the Singapore Math? (or anyone, I've looked at the website but can't find much about the content)

Dana, what is AoPS? I'd love to research it... Not having settled on a curriculum is giving me anxiety even though I know I have time since we have a transition/deschooling period to get through before we dive in to our hs schedule.

Dana

AoPS http://www.artofproblemsolving.com

Sngapore Standards http://www.singaporemath.com/Primary_Mathematics_Stds_Ed_s/134.htm

I like the standards editions. The Home Instructors Guide is excellent IMO. We also used the supplemental books Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice.

I do recommend picking one program as a spine and sticking with it unless it's clearly not working. Different programs cover material in different years, so consistency is really important IMO in the primary years. It is less of an issue in secondary where geometry is pretty much geometry.

Dianna

It's been so long since I've used Singapore that I can't give you more information about it. (I think it has changed since I've used it.) I just remember that it presented problems in different ways and really taught the why behind the math.

Miquon does, too, but it lacks the practice problems that parents said they needed.

Math-U-See is very visual, and seems to work for a lot of homeschoolers. I hope you'll be able to connect with other homeschoolers to see these in person. I may start doing mini-curriculum fairs and bring samples of the different curriculum along at my Outsider's events so families can see different resources in person. In the meantime, though, hopefully others will connect with you in the Support forum.

Warmly,
Dianna

• Like 1

mwiebke

Thank you SO much!

I went to The Homeschool Room (consignment store) today and walked out with MUS (Beta teacher pack and two sets of manipulatives, they didn't have any of the student pack materials) and the Miquon books minus orange. I figured I have a week to return any but at least I can see it in person and get a glimpse of what they each entail. I'm excited!!! My 5 year old was begging to play with the "blocks" and I'm on the hunt for Cuisenaire (I'm quite sure I butchered that spelling, sorry) rods to use with the Miquon.

Dianna I'd be all in for a curriculum fair, if we all brought the materials we use and shared them with the rest it would be an immense help I imagine!