sheenabyers

Homeschooling a Kindergartner. (Greenville S.C)

sheenabyers

Anyone have any ideas or actual subject topics to explore. I need some ideas besides the regular day to day worksheets in her books.

We are usuing Sylvan/Spectrum/DK workbooks... (for her math, reading, writing)

**My daughter loves Sid The Science Kid on T.V, if any of you dont know about that show and have a kindergartner its a great way to learn some cool things in science for young kids.

**Also for art we have a shoe box decorated and colored with fall colors which is her "fall box" We go outside and collect "fall things" like leaves,acorns,rocks, etc.. She loves exploring for things I tell her to find out in the backyard.

** We have a bunch of books that are called "Step into Reading" You can find them on Amazon.com they have for beginners and more advanced readers, they are great!

Edited by sheenabyers

Dianna

Hi Sheena,

If she (and you) are getting tired of the worksheets, I think you should set them aside and continue with your science (on TV, in the books she's reading, and on her nature explorations), and social studies (traditions, home, holidays, family life - tied in with the upcoming holidays), and reading (Step into Reading), etc. Just take a very hands-on approach to learning from now, through the holidays, and if you want to continue with the worksheets after that, you can.

Warmly,
Dianna

• Like 1

Maria B

Hi Sheena, One of the things that's worked really well for my kindergartener and 1st grader is letting them go through the nonfiction picture books at the library.  They'll end up seeing something that interests them and we'll get a few books on it and go through it at home.  Sometimes we get into a lot of detail, sometimes not (just depending on how interested they are and what time we have.)  I can often find videos on youtube on those topics, or sometimes trips (We went to the Outerbanks this past fall and we read several Wright Brothers books, and also books on estuaries and sea turtles.  We watched a lot of videos, and then we got to go see those things in person.  It worked out really well.)  Another example: my son (5) really got interested in the castles he saw on the one page in our history book about medieval times.  We went to the library and he got 4 or 5 nonfiction picture books and spent hours looking through them, and trying to draw them, etc.  As an emerging reader its also awesome.  They put so much more effort into reading words when its something they are interested (not that I asked him to read those books as they were way to advanced reading, but he was able to pick out a word here and there on his own because he wanted to). 

Last thing, if you're in Greenville and your daughter likes science, a membership to the Roper Mountain Science Center is totally worth it.  (Its like $45 for a family for the year.)  They do some great programming on the second Saturday of each month.  This month its an ocean theme.  And they will have all kinds of activities in that theme, plus their regular labs open for you to go through (rain forest creatures, a marine lab, etc).  They also have  a planetarium that does two shows every Friday with a sky talk and movie. The earlier show (I think its 6:30?)  is better for younger ages.  We have gone several times and love it.  Sometimes I bring just one of my boys and they call it their "date with Mommy."  Both those things are included in the membership.  If she is interested in science you can see what peaks her interest there and then see what else you can find (books, movies, etc) on the topic. 

Hope that gives you an idea or two!

-Maria

• Like 1

sheenabyers

:) Thank you for the replies. Yes we are in Greenville. I never heard of the Roper Mountain Science Center, we will check it out!

And go to the library, we havent been there yet either!