MirandaDeBosco

Oak Meadow Curriculum?

MirandaDeBosco

Has anyone here tried out the Oak Meadow curriculum? If so, I'd love to hear what you have to say about it. I am thinking that this curriculum is something my kids would love. 

Here's the link:

Oak Meadow Independent Curriculum Site

~*~ Miranda

mwiebke

It's so funny that you post this today because I started looking in to it yesterday. I love what I see so far but haven't used it, nor any Waldorf style curriculum for that matter but it greatly fits in with the way we live so it seems like a wonderful way to teach and learn. 

What grade(s) would you have?  I have a second grader this year and in the fall add a K kiddo!

So far the only thing holding me back is the price...

• Like 1

beachmom

We have used it for years with our son, who is twelve. We absolutely love it!

• Like 1

MirandaDeBosco
mwiebke, I have a 3rd grader and two 1st graders. Ironically, this curriculum is cheaper than our current one. LOL! We're going to purchase these at tax time. Will let you know how it goes. :)

beachmom, It looks awesome! Can't wait to try it out. What is your favorite aspect of the curriculum?
  • Like 1

beachmom

I like the way it is written to the children ( starting in 4th grade). There are choices offered each week for writing, research, and projects. They clearly teach writing and it is integrated into the history/geography. The math has a narrative piece, brief examples, then more intensive practice and work. I think it exposes my child to a wide variety of options and perspectives yet he is free to decide, choose, and show responsibility for his learning. For us it has proven to be a beautiful choice.

We supplemented a lot more in the younger grades as I didn't feel there was as much reading and as many books as we would like. We are doing that less so in the upper grades- it gets rigorous! Longer research and projects, etc. We continue to find we need more math and have used the Key To series. They go well together. An added bonus are beautiful Main Lesson Books which we cherish. 

mwiebke

I have the K syllabus on the way as well as the Teacher Process manual and The Heart of Learning and all of the extra books that go with the second grade package... I'm just searching for a deal on the 2nd grade syllabus and we will be all set! My middle kiddo will do K in the fall and I got an amazing deal so I went ahead and bought it. We may casually start it when it comes, I'm super excited!

My husband got a new job in October and we are taking a MASSIVE pay cut for a year, this whole inability to buy right now thing is driving me batty but I suppose it's not a bad thing. First world problems, I know.

mwiebke

beachmom that sounds awesome, do you have a link? I'd love to join!!! Thank you for your insight :)