ambley

New to homeschool - withdrawing midyear

ambley

My plan has been to start homeschooling my girls at the start of next school year. However, my 7 year old is becoming more miserable and things just are not working. I thought I would have time to research and get my stuff in order but I cannot in good conscience leave my youngest in public school until the end of this year. My oldest is excelling - shes in the gifted and talented programs and loves her classes and teachers. 

Does anyone have any advice on pulling one child midyear? 

Thanks! 

Dianna

Hi Ambley,

Many parents start homeschooling mid-year, so don't feel alone. I would recommend spending the rest of the year "deschooling." Just read books together (both fiction and about topics she's interested in), let her listen to audiobooks, get videos from Netflix or the library about topics she's interested in, go to museums, zoos, historic sites/state parks, etc. If she's miserable, she probably doesn't like learning right now, and this will help her understand that learning happens all the time, and that school and learning aren't the same thing.

Warmly,

Dianna

ambley

Wont we still need to be in a homeschool association To complete the 180 days? I've been over so much information, I may need to take a step back and take a fresh look. I just want to make sure it's all legal. (We're in Horry Co)

Amber

Dianna

Hi Ambley,

Yes, you'll need to join a homeschool association to cover you for the rest of this school year. Email me at director@carolinahomeschooler.com for a recommendation.

Warmly,

Dianna

danielle

Hey i know this post is a few weeks old and you've probably figured out your plans already but just in case you still need some advice i pulled my 6yr old daughter out of public school halfway through the year too and what we decided would be best to finish out the year was to pick up where her teacher left off. I used her progress report and i downloaded a list of state standards for her grade then built my own curriculum off of that (adding a lot). Since we started midyear also i didn't have all of our plans made in advance and there's definitely a lot of late nights planning but what i find helps me stay ahead is i have a plastic drawer for each day of the week and i put everything i need in it for each day then when i empty a drawer i can put the next week's stuff in it. Hope that was a little helpful!

ambley

Actually your response is at a very good time. We had decoded after talking to our kids to leave them in school until next year. However, today we filed to join an association so we can pull them asap. My mother-in-law has just been diagnosed with brest cancer and I have to be able to travel and stay with her during treatments. We've picked out some curriculum to start with over the past week, from research I've already done but its nice to see a new reassurances and ideas at this time :)