#21 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Now questions about my K and 2nd grader to make an informed decision between the two choices.

How things Move and  Synergy in Science look like the only choices this year.  I thought I saw an animal one at the AK last year and thought it would be an easy decision for the youngest ones!  It sounds like reading this thread that in How Things Move the kids actually go on rides as part of the class?  Do they on the other class too?  My K is a girl and my 2nd grader is an ALL BOY, very active and his head is always thinking.  I am surprised how much he already seems to know about science and I wonder where he learned it all! :)  What have your kids thought about these two programs?

Thanks again, just trying to get the best fit for my children.  They seem too young to choose between the two.

#22 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:16 AM

This is the first year I've included Wildlife Conservation on the schedule, Animal Behavior used to be called Wild by Nature and we've done it every year for the past 7 or so years (majority good reviews). Energy and Waves also has been offered for the last 7 years or so (majority good reviews). I just added back American Spirit in 2013 (after doing it back in 2007 or so) and it got good reviews, even with the early start time.

Since we've never done the Wildlife Conservation before, I can't answer your third question.

Energy and Waves has three levels now: 101, 201, 301, so your children would be in two different classes (same date, same time, same park, but different classes). It's a favorite among the students because it includes a brief behind-the-scenes look into the Haunted Mansion attraction. If you don't want your children to experience that attraction (for whatever reason), then choose a different program. Click on the link in the class description at my website for a more-indepth description of that program (and others).

We got good reviews of American Spirit. The curriculum for that one was recently revamped and (according to feedback), it's a better program now than when we did it years ago.

I hope this helps, but I hope parents will pop in to share their experiences with the programs.

Warmly,

Dianna

• bless9ings likes this

#23 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:22 AM

For your K and 2nd students, both programs have rides. If you do the HTM, you'd need two parents to attend. For Synergy, one could attend for both. Both get mostly good reviews, but HTM focuses more on physics while Synergy focuses on different sciences and how they merge together (kind of...). HTM is at Magic Kingdom, and Synergy is at EPCOT (if that matters in juggling your schedule).

Warmly,
Dianna

• bless9ings likes this

#24 beachmom

beachmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

Bless9ings, I did the animal behavior experience last year with my son, who was 10. We loved it! It rained for much of our trip, but for this class that turned out to be fine, because many of the animals were out and active. The tour is in the AK, and for our group we ended up having 4 homeschooling families ( this is often not the class, as IE classes are open to everyone). Our teacher was fantastic, and she showed us so many things we might have just quickly walked by on our own. She explained habitat design and gave detailed animal information. The class ended with a fast pass entry onto the safari ride!

#25 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Dianna for pointing out that there is links in the descriptions!  I guess I was quickly skimming the information so quickly I didn't realize their was links with more information.  Also, I copied and pasted the information into my word processor and then printed it out for the kids to read and choose, so there would be no further access to more info or realizing it after taking a second in depth look at the class descriptions!  :)

#26 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

If a child chooses DISCOVERING THE AMERICAN SPIRIT, do they ride Thunder Mountain Railroad?

#27 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

If a child chooses DISCOVERING THE AMERICAN SPIRIT, do they ride Thunder Mountain Railroad?

Yes, and Splash Mountain, too, usually (they can, and sometimes do, have to substitute rides if something is going on that day or the attraction is down for some reason). However, if students don't want to ride either, they can opt out and for the others to finish. (It's before park opening, so it doesn't take long to do the rides.)

• bless9ings likes this

#28 MelissaWilhoite

MelissaWilhoite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

I'm trying to figure out if we can do this trip!  I'm a single mom with a 5th grader and a high schooler.  Being the only parent, I'm trying to figure out how we'd do the classes since they are neither in the same age group, nor can/should either be left unattended while the other is particicpating in a class.  Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions?  We are in Indiana, so don't know the folks from the group.

Thanks,

Melissa

#29 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hi Melissa, I'd recommend planning to attend to with your 5th grader, and letting your high school student attend without you (I'll assign a chaperone). I'd recommend planning their classes on the same day and in the same park to avoid transportation issues.

Warmly,

Dianna

• MelissaWilhoite likes this

#30 Debbie Stern

Debbie Stern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

Dianna,

I was wondering which Saturday the group will be meeting for the Kingdom Keepers Quest. Will they be meeting on 9/6 or 9/13?

Is this something that I can add on if I didn't include it with my registration?

Thanks

Debbie

#31 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Debbie,

Both of the Quests will be on Saturday morning, September 6. You would need to add it today if you decide you want to do it. (Email me to let me know, and make sure whether you want to do the Magic Kingdom one (based on the first book in the series), or the new Animal Kingdom Quest (based on the second book in the series).

Warmly,
Dianna

#32 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

Have the classes that have enough students been again yet?  I'm wondering specifically about the one in Hollywood Studios Tuesday morning on gravity.

Also, about the Synergy class, I hadn't thought about rides.  What rides do they go on?  My youngest has some sensory quirks so there are some rides that he may not be able to handle.  If that's the case, is it okay to skip the ride part?  My third grader is also doing that class, so I would need to send her on the ride without me - she's 8, so she makes Disney's minimum age to ride without an adult so I'm thinking that shouldn't be a huge issue since I can wait with her and then meet her at the end.

*Edited: I just found the info about what rides are in each class.  I hadn't seen that before.  My youngest should be fine.  But now I'm wondering about my eldest!  I'll send you a message.

Edited by kohlby, 11 July 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#33 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

Also wanted to let you know that I'll email an update regarding confirmed classes soon. Yesterday was my deadline, so I'll have final-ish numbers in the next day or two. One program definitely didn't have enough (Global Citizenship), so I'm shifting students out of there into other classes, so the numbers are fluctuation. Synergy is fine, and Chemistry should be fine, too.

Dianna

• kohlby likes this

#34 Debbie Stern

Debbie Stern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Dianna, but we actually won't be arriving until the 6th so we will not be around. Maybe next year :-)

Debbie