kohlby

Couple official homeschooling questions for friends

kohlby

1. Person withdrew her child officially and joined an option 3 group. She showed that letter to the school but they are saying it's not good enough because it says "accepted" not "enrolled." She's worried that her child will be considered truant. I told her to contact her option 3 group and have them contact the school. I don't know which group she uses so I'm not sure how fast it will be done. Any advice to avoid having her child marked truant?

2. A different person has one child in public 4K and another one she unenrolled from public 4K part way through the year. She asked at the school what she needed to do and the attendance secretary said nothing. However, it should be the kindergarten waiver. She's in my town and two other schools in town do regularly have the waiver. One thing I wasn't sure of was if she needed to join an accountability group instead - since her kids were in public school. But since it was just 4K, I didn't know if that mattered.

kohlby

Person 1 got the school to resolve it.  The attendance secretary actually thought to ask someone else at the school and was corrected.  So - she's set!  Still would love an idea what the laws are in regardes of person 2, the one who had children in 4K.

Dianna

Since 4K isn't mandatory, she shouldn't have to sign a waiver or sign up with an association. Children in SC aren't compelled to attend school until they turn 5 by Sept. 1 of the upcoming school year.

Dianna

kohlby

No, it's not for 4K, it's for next year, kindergarten.  One of her children is in public 4K now.  So could they do the waiver next year?  Somewhere I read that if the child was in public school for so many days, even 4K, that they had to officially homeschool.  I'm thinking it might have been a GA law.  But want to make sure that for SC, she'll be able to do the waiver for next year - for kindergarten even though her child did public 4K.

Dianna

There's no law that says that children previously registered have to homeschool through Option 1, 2, or 3. I've heard of one school who has this policy, but I don't know of a legal basis for it. Your friend should be able to sign a waiver, if that's what she wants to do.

Warmly,

Dianna

kohlby

Thanks!  That's what I thought SC was - but I wasn't positive.  It didn't help that the school didn't seem to understand and asked her to provide her option 3 group when she signed the waiver.  The attendance secretary called up another local school to get the waiver since she didn't know about it in the first place.