Beth56

New to homeschooling in SC

Beth56

Hi,

My family and I are planning a move to SC next year.

Shortly after we move my oldest will be starting kindergarten.

I currently live in upstate NY where the homeschool qualifications

are pretty lenient. After reading the SC requirements

I am rather terrified! So strict! I have been dreaming of moving

to SC since I was a child, but these laws are seriously making

me reconsider

Dianna

Hi Beth,

When you have a chance, read through my SC homeschool law page here: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/sc-homeschool-law/

Then the rest of my FAQs here: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/

It's really not as bad as it sounds, and from what NYers have told me, I think you'll like it better than NY.

If you still have questions after reading through my SC law page and FAQs, please post your questions here and I'll be happy to help.

Warmly,

Dianna

Beth56

Hi Dianna,

Thank you so much for your response and the links!

Maybe I'm just so thrown off by the shock of the

state requirements that I'm just not understanding it

all correctly, but I'm still confused about what an

association's exact role is. Will it have any say in

how I teach my children?

Will I have to homeschool everyday with others?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of having a

group of homeschoolers I can turn to for ideas and

support. I just don't want to be made to feel as if I

am being watched over by a, for lack of a better

word, principal.

Having never even heard of such a thing, my first

reaction is to feel apprehensive about an association

am I wrong?

I'm sorry this post is such a mess I'm just very confused by all

of this. Not having any friends in SC that homeschool, I don't know

where else to go for answers

Dianna

Beth,

Different associations have different requirements, but most Option 3 associations aren't intrusive and are there just as a "cover school" - instead of registering with the state and having to follow their requirements, you'll just assure the 3rd Option you choose that you're following the mandates of the law and that's that. Most don't dictate the curriculum or resources you use, the specific hours/days you homeschool, or how you learn. 

Most Option 3 associations don't require testing, and most don't require curriculum approval (some do, though, so ask questions before you join).

You won't normally meet other families in your association. Carolina Homeschooler and a few others plan field trips, retreats, park days, etc., where you meet others, but it's all optional and for support, not oversight.

I think you may be right in that you're seeing an association as a place where you all gather and they approve/oversee what you do. But that's not the reality for most associations (especially Option 3). You join one, they act as your "intermediary" with the state, and you're left to homeschool the way that fits your family best.

Carolina Homeschooler requires you to fill out an application that states that you're going to follow the mandates of the law, and then fill out a form at the end of the year stating that you met all the requirements. That's it. Parents maintain student records (also mandated in Option 3 law), and the only time I'd ask to see them is if I receive an official request for a records audit (very rare). You don't have to send anything to the state, or interact with them in any way. The association does that.

If you'll list what NYC requires, I can tell you if it's similar to SC. That may help you to better understand the reality of SC's homeschool law.

Warmly,

Dianna

Dianna

Another way of explaining the role of an association is this way: your students have to be registered ("counted") somewhere - the local school, a private school, or a homeschool. The association keeps up with your registration as a homeschooling family.

Warmly,

Dianna

Beth56

Dianna,

Thank you! That makes me feel much better about our move!

I love that Carolina Homeschooler plans field trips, ect!

We will definitely check those out once we move.

I'm not sure if the New York City requirements are

different from the upstate region where I am, but

here is a list of their laws:

A letter of intent at the beginning of the school year,

File an IHIP, Individualized Home Instruction Plan,

Quarterly reports,

and an annual assessment.

Thank you again for answering my questions.

You were so helpful!

Dianna

I really think you're going to like SC better once you're in the trenches. Here are the differences:

A letter of intent at the beginning of the school year - In SC, you'll just register with an association each year, not file an intent.

File an IHIP, Individualized Home Instruction Plan - In SC, for many/most associations, you won't have to file a plan or list resources (check with each association you're considering before you join). You'll have to maintain a diary, planbook, or journal for 180 days, but you can plan as you go to take advantage of changing interests and teachable moments, if you want, or plan ahead of time. It's up to you. My FAQs discuss this in more depth.

Quarterly reports and an annual assessment. - In SC, it's only two bi-annual reports that list a summary of topics learned during the previous 90 days and a record of attendance. This can be a report card, if you prefer. My FAQs discuss this in more depth. No testing is required for most associations.

Dianna

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,
Dianna

Beth56

Wow! When you compare the two like that

SC really does seem easier!!

kohlby

Yes- it's pretty easy!  Also, you don't have to join an option 3 group for legal kindergarten age.  Kindergarten is mandatory in SC unless you sign a waiver. (For kids of typical kindergarten age). That's what I did for my kids.  I signed the waiver at the local public school.  That meant I needed to do absolutely nothing for kindergarten other than that.  No record keeping.  No group joining.  Nada.  I unschool still then so it made things much easier on me.  But for the school year your child is 6 (by Sept 1st), then you would need to officially homeschool.  It's still not a lot of work, but it's more than the waiver.  I prefer the waiver since it's so easy.  But some people prefer not for the public school to have their child's name in their files and would rather officially homeschool that year.  (My kids all do/did speech therapy through the public school, so it's not like I cared about them knowing my kids existed).  If you don't go the waiver route, then you would need to officially homeschool starting at typical kindergarten age instead of typical first grade age.

Beth56

That is so helpful kohlby! Thank you for sharing!

I was confused by the posts on here about the

kindergarten waiver and now it makes sense

• Like 1

BillieJo Youmans

Beth, We made the move from upstate NY (Binghamton) to SC (Richburg)  three years ago.  Ours are now graduated but if I can be of any help, feel free to zap a note. Or if you are simply struggling with the culture change :), I'd be glad to be a listening ear.   billiejoyoumans@gmail.com

• Like 2

Beth56

BillieJo,

That is so sweet! I will definitely take you up on that!

Thank you