#1 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

November 2010

We had 130 homeschoolers join us for our first 3-day field trip to the Barrier Island Environmental Education Program this November. The campus was beautiful and peaceful. It included nearly one mile of beach, 100 acres of salt marsh, 200 acres of undisturbed maritime forest, freshwater ponds, and a freshwater marsh. The lodge rooms were fine, as were the cabins. Both reflected a "camp" feel - not luxurious, but perfectly adequate for our stay.

So far the feedback I've received has been very positive. Parents and children enjoyed the classes, activities, and even the food (which was surprisingly good!).

Classes were varied and included many topics - mostly dealing with marine science, local barrier island ecology (beach, dunes, estuary, marsh, maritime forest), marine animals, environmentalism, conservation, astronomy, botany, and more. Other than the hands-on aspects of the classes, I especially enjoyed the campfire songs and watching the parents beat the kids in dodge ball. (And I have great pictures to prove it, too!)

The naturalists were great - enthusiastic and knowledgeable (for the most part, depending on experience level) about the topics they were presenting. They worked well with the kids in keeping them engaged and interested in what they were learning. Even though the camp traditionally serves 3rd-8th grades, I've also received good feedback from the parents of our K-2nd graders and high school students.

The weather was great, for the most part. The rain held off until we left, but sometimes the weather got a little cold for us - especially when we were wet from seining, investigating pond life, walking in the marsh, exploring the beach, or playing in the mud pit. That didn't stop most of the kids (and parents!) from jumping right in anyway.

Many of the parents and children told me they'd like to return next year, and others who missed this year's trip have been emailing me asking me to coordinate another trip, so I'm already working on it and will post more information soon.

Thanks to everyone who camped with us this year. I enjoyed meeting you and watching our children have so much fun together! I look forward to seeing you again on a future trip.

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

September 2012

We filled the Barrier Island Environmental Education campus to capacity (and then some) this year and had a wonderful time! It was great seeing so many parents enjoying each other's company and watching the children make new friends.

This trip was very similar to our 2010 trip, but the weather was warmer so we enjoyed getting in the water a lot more this time. A storm threatened to move in and they were great about shifting the schedule around to make sure we could get the most popular activities in before the storm hit. (The storm missed us, though - we had wonderful weather the whole time!)

The naturalists and staff also were more personable and knowledgeable this year, and they were able to keep the children engaged and learning (and having fun!) throughout our stay.

The vast majority of us enjoyed the meals, which were better than standard camp food, as well as the rooms and cabins. (Most parents told me that lodging was much better than they expected.)

I received great reviews this year from parents, so I'm working on a similar trip at a different camp that has even more to offer!

Thanks to everyone who camped with us this year!

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Friend me on Facebook to see photos of this trip: http://www.facebook....inahomeschooler

(I'll try to move them to our private gallery soon!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: barrier island, trip reports