When: May 23
Where: SC State/National Parks and Historic Sites
(Details about each event are included in member newsletters.)
Ages: All ages, including grandparents
Join us for our next Outsiders event and enjoy picnics, geocaching, hiking, games, and making friends at South Carolina’s state and national parks and historic sites.
Our Travel Bugs – Where Are They?
We’ve released several Travel Bugs while geocaching in the state parks. Click on the links to see the details of where each Bug has traveled.
Sesqui began her journey at Sesquicentential State Park. She’s traveled 584 miles so far – through SC, NC, VA, and TN. She is currently resting in TN – waiting for someone to help her continue her journey.
Dorchester began his journey at Dorchester State Historic Site. He’s traveled 391 miles through SC and NC but hasn’t traveled for a while. Someone retrieved him from a geocache in Lincolnton, NC and hasn’t taken him anywhere else. He’s sad, but hopeful he’ll be able to continue his journey eventually.
Landsford began his journey at Landsford Canal State Park and has had the worst luck. He’s traveled 0 miles. That’s right – zero! Someone retrieved him but hasn’t taken him anywhere else. There’s always hope, though!
Who can attend our Outsiders events? How much do they cost?
This group is open to Carolina Homeschooler members. There’s no extra cost, other than what the parks charge for entry (if you don’t buy a Park Passport), and camping fees (if we’re having a campout).
State parks and historic sites we’ve visited (so far):
- Aiken State Park
- Andrew Jackson State Park
- Charles Towne Landing State Historic Site
- Cheraw State Park
- Chester State Park
- Colleton State Park
- Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site
- Croft State Park
- Dreher Island State Park
- Edisto Beach State Park
- Givhans Ferry State Park
- Goodale State Park
- Huntington Beach State Park
- Kings Mountain State Park
- Lake Greenwood State Park
- Lake Wateree State Park
- Landsford Canal State Park
- Musgrove Mill State Historic Site
- Myrtle Beach State Park
- Oconee State Park
- Paris Mountain State Park
- Rose Hill Plantation Historic Site
- Sesquicentennial State Park
- Table Rock State Park
National parks and historic sites we’ve visited (so far):
- Congaree National Park
- Kings Mountain National Military Park
Want to join us?
- Our Outsiders events are for Carolina Homeschooler members. (See our membership page for more information about our services.)
- Optional – Get a free Official Guide to South Carolina Parks at a park near you. Take it to all the parks/sites we visit and get them stamped. After you visit all 47 parks and historic sites, you’ll get an Ultimate Outsider t-shirt!
- Optional – Consider buying a Park Passport instead of paying park fees every time you visit. (You only need one to cover your whole family. I get the All Park Passport so it covers every park and many extra programs at the parks. It pays for itself by the end of the year.)
- Members will receive news of upcoming outsider events in member newsletters. If you confirm attendance for an event, you’ll receive updates and reminders for that event.