When: December 13
Where: Discovery Place (Charlotte, NC)
Grade Level: All ages
Register by: Closed
Travel to the future with us at Discovery Place and explore their new Science Fiction, Science Future exhibit.
We’ll learn about teleportation, holograms, invisibility, and mind control with hands-on and full-body interactive activities.
We’ll see and experience:
- Mindball, where you can pit your brainpower against someone else and see who has the ultimate mind control.
- Robots with personality—once thought of as simple machines, the robots of tomorrow have social applications and can mimic your emotions.
- The invisibility cloak, a longtime fixture in science fiction, becomes reality. Watch yourself get “cloaked” and disappear on screen.
- Teleportation may be the transportation of the future—experience the illusion of being beamed out and back again.
- History of the future—what did people in the past think about the future? Explore visions of the future dating back to the 1890s. Did they get it right?
I’ll share details when they’re finalized, but plan for morning through early to late afternoon (you can leave when you’re ready).
The cost is $12.50 per person (student and parents are the same price), payable via debit/credit through my online payment platform. No refunds if you don’t attend (for any reason).
Join our December Sci-Fi book groups to enhance your field trip. (Participation is optional.)
Older kids will read Space Case by Stuart Gibbs. (Reading/interest level approximately grades 4 and up.)
Younger kids will read Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot, written by Dav Pilkey, and illustrated by Dan Santat. (Reading/interest level K-3.)
Before you register, please note…
- Participation in the book group is optional. Book discussions will be via Zoom. (Here are more details about our book groups.)
- The field trip is Discovery Place, Charlotte NC. Children younger than 2 are free.