Join us at the new Sherlock Holmes exhibit and see how science, history, and culture brings Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories to life!
When: April 1-16 (book group)
When: April 17 (field trip)
Where: South Carolina State Museum
Registration Deadline: March 14
The timing of events will be provided later, but plan for late morning and afternoon.
The International Exhibition of Sherlock Holmes combines science with history and culture to bring Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s rich and vibrant stories to life. We’ll see how the author created a character who was ahead of his time, noticing seemingly trivial clues to solve some of the most puzzling mysteries of his time. These stories encouraged a change in the way police work was conducted, and remain in practice today.
We’ll travel to London to solve a mystery using his groundbreaking methods, and then be transported to a pop culture gallery that shows Sherlock Holmes in all his manifestations, from books to movies.
Some of the things we’ll do:
- Visit Doyle’s study, where we can explore his world and life from medical student to practicing physician to literary genius.
- Get a chance to become a detective and solve a mystery, investigating clues and using scientific crime-solving methods throughout the exhibit gallery.
- Explore hands-on interactive stations explaining the science behind crime-solving.
- See an authentic recreation of Holmes’ 221B Sitting Room and props from the Warner Bros.’ current Sherlock Holmes movies and behind-the-scenes tools from the hit CBS television show Elementary and the BBC’s Sherlock.
We’ll also watch the museum’s new movie, Sherlock Holmes 4D: The Great Detective! This fast-paced mystery adventure is set in the misty streets of Victorian London. When Holmes arrives at the scene of a bank robbery he is met by Dashwood Hunter, his bitter rival. Following the evidence, Holmes and his companion Doctor Watson race after the culprit into the Tower of London and up the clock tower of Big Ben.
To prepare for this field trip, we’ll have an online mystery book group. Students who participate in the book group and field trip will receive letters of completion from Carolina Homeschooler, documenting participation, topics covered, and credits earned.
This event is limited to member students in kindergarten and up, and their parents. Younger siblings and grandparents can attend, but their exhibit and movie fee won’t be covered by Carolina Homeschooler.
Cost, Cancellations, and Refund Policy
The cost is $15 per person (students and parents). If your students participate in the book group and attend the field trip, your total payment will be refunded. (Refund checks must be deposited within 90 days or your refund is forfeited.)
No refunds for cancellations or no-shows, for any reason (car issues, medical issues, whatever). To put it simply – this field trip is free if your students participate in the book group and attend the field trip. If they don’t, then it’s not.
Your submitted registration form and payment acknowledges your understanding and agreement with my cancellation and refund policy for this event.
Want to go?
- To register for this trip, click here.
- If you don’t receive a confirmation with payment information within 3 days, please email me.
- Payment will be due within 7 days of receiving my email.
- I’ll email you when I receive your payment, and send you periodic updates.
- And that’s it! Email me if you have any questions.