Join us for our STEM workshop at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We’ll learn about traction, friction, speed and acceleration, weight and balance, play with radio controlled cars, and take a lap on their NASCAR track!
When: August 10
Where: Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord NC
Registration Deadline: July 15
Members have priority for this event, but non-members will be added as space is available.
This field trip is for ages 9 and up. No younger siblings can attend. At least one parent or designated adult must attend with their student(s). (This is not a drop-off event).
The timing of events will be provided later, but plan for around noon until 5:00 pm.
What we’ll do:
- Explore the velocity of a moving car, clocking and measure speeds at varying angles that correlate to the different race tracks.
- Play with remote control cars, run a series of qualifying times and compete in races based upon the average they calculate.
- Form “pit crews” and work together to learn about weight distribution. Pit crews will calculate pre-adjustment and post-adjustment weight.
- Use a set of cars to measure the degree of traction on multiple surfaces, and form a hypothesis based on the angle the car will move.
- Learn how friction plays an important role in motorsports, focusing on Newton’s Laws of Motion.
- Experience the 24 degree banking of Charlotte Motor Speedway by taking a tour van ride around the 1.5 mile NASCAR track!
Cost, Cancellations, and Refund Policy
The cost is $20 per student ($21 debit/credit), and $10 per adult ($11 debit/credit).
We have to reach a minimum before this field trip is confirmed, so I can’t give refunds unless we’re over the minimum and have a family to replace yours. There are no refunds for cancellations after July 15 or no-shows. Your submitted registration form and payment acknowledges your understanding and agreement with my cancellation and no-refund policy for this event.
Want to go?
- To register for this trip, click here.
- If you don’t receive a confirmation with payment information within 3 days, please email me.
- Payment will be due within 7 days of receiving my email.
- I’ll email you when I receive your payment, and send you periodic updates.
- And that’s it! Email me if you have any questions.