lynmatthew

unschooling and semiannual-journal

lynmatthew

I have to be honest this year has had a lot of bumps and roadblocks and everything in between. Since we started back homeschooling I have been trying my best to come up with which ways work for my boys and have bounced around a lot in the way they are being taught to the way I am recording it. I am stressing that what I was doing before isn't enough information per the law is concerned in My journal, even though I know they were doing a lot and learning a lot I just did not record it very well. I was I guess just doing a brief summary of what we were learning about but not detailed at all. So between trying to figure out how to fix that and Now that I have found the best way which is unschooling with  certain aspects being more structured. Ive also have and am now in the process of Learning and using EverNote for my record keeping and pictures and such. So my question is for a weekly journal how much is needed? am I allowed to group them as a whole if they all learning the same things outside of Math and Reading, and Specifically name them for individualized task completed ? or do I need to have child's name- weekly info? Also concerning the semi - annual progress report what exactly does it need to say? I don't really have a set Curriculum they tend to bounce around the only consistency is Reading eggs and Math seeds,  education.com, Prodigy ? so how do I sum every thing up in a paragraph especially when I am still learning things they actually know vs things they don't. I'm totally stressing my self out I just want to make sure that I am doing what I am suppose to do so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Israelite

Lynmatthews, I feel exactly the way you described, this is my first year and I'm all over the place, I have my son do alot of work, I don't know if I'm over working him, I need to make sure I'm following the laws on home schooling, I am so paranoid and scared that I don't have enough and do not know what the semi year book suppose to look like

Dianna

Lyn, have you had a chance to look in the "Forms" section in the member's area? There are samples there that may help you. For the weekly journal, just copy and paste the same description if they're all doing the same thing, and type in each students journal what they do differently. (If that makes sense.) Each student needs to be documented separately, but make it as easy as possible by copying and pasting what they do together. For the semi-annual progress reports, they can be a report card or a summary. It's fine to unschool or use other child-led learning methods and resources. Look at the samples in the Forms forum for examples of how to do it. (It may be easiest to do a report card and use S for satisfactory or N for needs improvement as grades.)

Lavonne, I just gave you access to the member's area. Take a look at the "Form" forum and look at the forms and samples I have there. You don't have to use them, but they may be helpful in showing you one way to document.

Let me know if either of you have any questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Like 1