Sign in to follow this  
Kim Cashwell

Starting Homeschool this Year

Kim Cashwell

I’m so overwhelmed at choices. I have two toddlers aged 3 and 4 that will be starting homeschooling this year! I want to go with Option 3 for homeschooling in SC. 

I can’t decide between Abeka or BJU Press. Are those approved associations by South Carolina? Which ones would you prefer? I want something that’s planned out for me until they get a little older and get into the swing of homeschooling. Please help. 

• Like 1

Dianna

Hi Kim,

Abeka and BJU Press (texts or their academies) would be your curriculum. You can choose any curriculum/resources you'd like, but you still need to register with an Option 3 association when your children turn 5 on or before Sept 1. (Or you could sign a kindergarten waiver at your local school district and not have to register until they turn 6 on or before Sept 1.)

You can still learn with them all you'd like until then, but you won't have to document or register with an association yet. (And I wouldn't recommend either Abeka or BJU for children that young.)

For more Beginning Homeschooling info, see: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/beginning-homeschooling/

My main FAQ page is here: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/

Read through those links and you'll get a better idea of what to do when the time comes. For now, I'd encourage lots of time outside at parks, zoos, children's museums, EdVenture (Columbia), Discovery Place (Charlotte), read-alouds, library visits, etc.

Warmly,
Dianna

• Like 1