Deborah Quay

Mom needs recommendations for 8th grader materials

Deborah Quay

My son excelled academically in brick & mortar school in 6th & 7th grade.  We have decided to homeschool for 8th grade for many reasons.  We used Calvert Academy in 4th grade, & K12 in 5th grade.  We considered Connections Academy for 8th grade as we wanted more freedom from online live lesson/ required classroom time, but I cannot get the info needed for absences.  Several days of his unexcused absences were due to me keeping him home after calls from the school regarding threats of gun violence by students, a few days were due to me signing him out early due to his upset over teachers making inappropriate comments to him.  Yeah, that happened!  I am certain homeschooling is our best option, I always have felt this way.  However, choosing a program/materials completely overwhelms me.  Please share what materials/programs you use for 8th grade level other than the three aforementioned schools.  Mom in a panic here....thanks in advance, Blessings:)

Deborah Quay

does anyone have any experience with CTCMath for middleschool or highschool? 

Rebecca

I wanted to reach out and say that our first year homeschooling I was beyond overwhelmed. We followed a curriculum and made sure we didn't miss anything even though my son hated the curriculum. This year we are taking a more hands on approach and we are both loving it. We are not doing a set curriculum, we are doing more library visits, museum visits, zoo, and we are traveling more. I realized that through learning we can visit different places. 

We do have things that he will do on our off days when we aren't going out, but its things he actually enjoys. 

Did you sign up for the CTC Math? If so, how do you guys like it? 

• Like 1

Deborah Quay

Rebecca,

Thanks for your reply.  We are using a variety of math programs: MathVids, XtraMath, & EasyPeasy.   My 8th grader didn't learn much in his brick & Mortar public school math class last year, (an overall low "B", 80,  grade) so we started a week earlier than our school district w/ 7th grade math so he gets everything he needs before moving onto 8th grade math/Pre Algebra.  He is enjoying his other subjects via many different curriculum's, but math is his weakest subject so we are doing extra there.  He certainly enjoys his other subjects more given the variety, visits to museums/library, & ability to visit out of town family while he learns away from home.  He really enjoys CH's Kids Discover as well.  Best to you and yours:) 

Deborah