Jannie Summey

Mid-year move to homeschool from private school

Jannie Summey

My 8th grade son has recently experienced a huge spike with his anxiety and has had to be withdrawn from his private school education. He was withdrawn on the 12th of this month and I plan to continue his education at home for the remainder of this year. I also had surgery on the 12th and time has gotten away. Option 1 is not available in my area and I have decided on Option 3 (due to cost and flexibility). I understand, I need to submit a Declaration (or Notice) of Intent to homeschool. Do I have a timeline to meet on that? I was just told it was 10 days. His school is allowing me to continue to use his books to finish this year in hopes that he will return next year. Considering I already have a curriculum, does anyone have advice for me on Option 3??? I am clueless and recovering. Any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! 

Dianna

South Carolina is not a "notice of intent" state. Just register with an association as soon as possible. (You're considered truant right now, but still the school is working with you, you have some leeway.) Faithful Scholars is still accepting members. Google her and register as soon as possible.

Also, this is a great resource for anxiety: https://www.amazon.com/What-When-Worry-Much-What/dp/1591473144

It's young for your son, but is helpful anyway to learn the causes of anxiety and how to handle it (without drugs or therapy).

I hope you recover soon!

Warmly,

Dianna

• Like 1