New to homeschool Mt Pleasant

Erin S

Good morning,

I am working on the courage to register my daughters (age 8 and 10) for homeschool next year. We are in North Mt Pleasant and would love to meet other homeschool families in the area.

This accountability group seems unique. How many members are there? Where is it located? Do you offer curriculum guidance?
We love books and are considering using Build your library as a jumping off point. We are also considering Math u can see and Daily 6 Trait writing. Does anyone have experience with these? 
Thank you-Erin

• Like 1
Ssolomon03

Hi Erin! 
We are also new to the homeschool world!  Located in Ladson, and we have 3 kiddos(6,7,9)! We are still researching all the different curriculums and getting ideas, so no advice there, but just wanted to say hello since we are nearby! :)

-Sarah

• Like 2
Pringle2011

Hi Erin and Sarah,

I'm Kimberly. Wanted to say hi to you both! I have been homeschooling my daughter since kindergarten. She is 8 and now going into 3rd grade. We are in Summerville in Nexton area. Would love to keep in contact with you both since y'all are very close. My daughter did use a little Math u can see at one point in a homeschool support group we use to be a part of at one point. It seemed (for the short amount of time she used it) to be good. 

• Like 2
Erin S
On 7/17/2020 at 2:06 PM, Pringle2011 said:

Hi Erin and Sarah,

I'm Kimberly. Wanted to say hi to you both! I have been homeschooling my daughter since kindergarten. She is 8 and now going into 3rd grade. We are in Summerville in Nexton area. Would love to keep in contact with you both since y'all are very close. My daughter did use a little Math u can see at one point in a homeschool support group we use to be a part of at one point. It seemed (for the short amount of time she used it) to be good. 

Hi Sarah and Kimberly,

Thank you for reaching out! It is so good to know there are other homeschooling families in the area, as we are officially homeschooling this year! The girls are really excited. Do either of you have any thoughts on socializing homeschoolers during Covid? Kimberly, can you share anything about your experience with homeschool support groups? Any advise for us newbies?  Sarah, your kiddos are so close in age, are you planning to teach them many subject together? We are planning to do all but math and writing as a group.

• Like 2
Dianna
On 6/30/2020 at 8:29 AM, Erin S said:

Good morning,

I am working on the courage to register my daughters (age 8 and 10) for homeschool next year. We are in North Mt Pleasant and would love to meet other homeschool families in the area.

This accountability group seems unique. How many members are there? Where is it located? Do you offer curriculum guidance?
We love books and are considering using Build your library as a jumping off point. We are also considering Math u can see and Daily 6 Trait writing. Does anyone have experience with these? 
Thank you-Erin

Erin, I never answered your questions. I'm sorry! 

We have many members (and counting...) and are located in Lancaster, SC.

The best place to get curriculum guidance is the Homeschool Resources Support Facebook Group here:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/HomeschoolingResourcesSupportGroup/

It's a huge group, with many families using all kinds of resources who can help you choose.

My FAQs are here, too, in case you want to take a look (I just updated my website, so I hope they're easier to navigate: https://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/

And my membership FAQs are on my membership page here: https://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/membership/ (Updated those, too!)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

Ssolomon03

Hi Erin and Kimberly! 

Erin- Yes, I’m planning to do group Science and History lessons for sure. And with the curriculum we are using, our 6 and 7 yr olds assessed at same level, so they will be working together at first(thinking my 7 year old will move up quickly).

Kimberly- You must be a pro! This is our first year but we are all so excited to get started! Looking forward to connecting with other families once Covid calms down! :) 

Can’t wait to do outings with other homeschooling families in the future! :769_heart:

Allthemboys

Hi Erin- I just decided to homeschool my 8 and 10 yo boys. We're in Pawleys Island, but drive down to Mt. Pleasant often. We'd likely be up for some safe socialization. New to homeschool.

dawnmyers

Hello all! We are in Mt. Pleasant (south) with 3 boys - 6, 11 and 14. Our oldest will be heading to Oceanside this year and the younger two will be going into our third year of homeschooling with Dianna and Carolina Homeschooler. Erin - we used Math-U-See one year and Saxon the next. We liked both, yet are still trying to find a "favorite". We have heard a lot of good things about Teaching Textbooks as well. We will be doing the Daily 6 Trait writing you mentioned as part of our 5th grader's LA. We switched from "regular school" to homeschool and have really enjoyed the opportunities to learn, play travel baseball and enjoy quality family time. There are so many wonderful resources available. :)